• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Tipping

New posts

Beach Runner

beats on hood
I am in quite a conundrum regarding tipping.

I have visted The Original Tipping Page, but there are so many misspelled words on that site that it loses credibility.

Let's start with the hair salon. Let's say I spend $150 on hair coloring. Person A does the foils, and Person B shampoos me, does the glaze, and re-shampoos me. Who gets what? And if the owner cuts my hair, do I tip him/her? What about the person who massages my neck when the owner is running late due to the previous client being late? Or what about the person who blow-dries my hair to save the hair cutter some time?

Then how about at a hairdresser or a restaurant when valet is the only parking option? Tipping.org says a dollar or two? Is that enough? I don't want to have my car keyed the next time I go there. :idontno:

Then there are places like Figo and Taqueria del Sol in ATL. You place your own order at the counter, and someone delivers the food to your table. How much?

Then there's take-out. If I am doing take-out, thus serving myself, and the only service that I receive is having someone walk a few feet and take my money, does the person or the establishment deserve a tip?



:idontno:
 
I am in quite a conundrum regarding tipping.

I have visted The Original Tipping Page, but there are so many misspelled words on that site that it loses credibility.

Let's start with the hair salon. Let's say I spend $150 on hair coloring. Person A does the foils, and Person B shampoos me, does the glaze, and re-shampoos me. Who gets what? And if the owner cuts my hair, do I tip him/her? What about the person who massages my neck when the owner is running late due to the previous client being late? Or what about the person who blow-dries my hair to save the hair cutter some time?

Then how about at a hairdresser or a restaurant when valet is the only parking option? Tipping.org says a dollar or two? Is that enough? I don't want to have my car keyed the next time I go there. :idontno:

Then there are places like Figo and Taqueria del Sol in ATL. You place your own order at the counter, and someone delivers the food to your table. How much?

Then there's take-out. If I am doing take-out, thus serving myself, and the only service that I receive is having someone walk a few feet and take my money, does the person or the establishment deserve a tip?



:idontno:


If you have more money than the person providing the service than you should tip at least 1% of your net worth until properly redistributed. Quit trying to bring in things like work and responsibility into any discussion. It ain't going to fly, cause it ain't fair.
 
I'm not sure about the beauty parlor tipping, and if you saw my hair you'd know why.

Regarding tipping for take-out, I think that if you get take-out from a real restaurant, not fast-food, then you should tip. A server or bartender or whoever had to answer the phone, take the order, make sure the kitchen did it correctly, and probably pack it up for you. Then deal with you when you come in to pick it up. All of this while trying to juggle a bunch of tables or other duties. It's worth 10% or $5, whichever is greater, in my opinion.
 
Regarding the salon: It is my philosophy that I tip the stylist, then he/she should decide what to tip the others. In comparison, at a restaurant, I don't tip the hostess or the bus person.

Regarding an order at the counter place like Figo: I usually leave a dollar or two on the table...mostly out of guilt. The wait person does refill my drink and bring my food to the table.

Regarding valet: usuall two bucks

I understand that service people often rely on tips...However, I also believe that we shouldn't tip for EVERYTHING.. It can really get out of hand. I usually tip servers well, depending on quality of service.

If you tipped the stylist, shampoo person, colorist, etc...then you would end up doubling the price you pay. It goes over and beyond. If the stylist chooses to utilize support staff, then it should be up to the stylist to share tips with said staff. I believe that most restaurant servers share tips with bus staff...
 
Salon: When in doubt, I've been known to ask the primary caregiver, as it were. My stylist, etc. is the owner of the place, and she told me that it is customary NOT to tip the owner. (I've heard that elsewhere, too.) But I always leave her $5 anyway.

Take out: I don't tip them any more than I tip the kid at McDonald's who takes my order, sends it to the kitchen, wraps it up and puts it in the bag.

Order-at-counter: If someone brings my food to the table and/or comes to the table to refill my drink, etc. I leave a tip. If it's a buffet or wait at the counter thing and someone comes to see if I need a refill, I tip. If it's a buffet/wait for it and no one comes to the table, it's a McDonald's and I don't tip.

Valet: I've never let a stranger drive my car. I'll let you know if I do.
 
I really digg Figo and Taqueria del Sol! Yum! Let's go there when you're next in town, BR! We'll worry about the tip later!

Cheers~~~~
 
ya know..... I work in the industry......if I have bad service I tip zip! or a quarter just to let you know u did zip!!!! It is not a given! Great tips...GREAT service and I have had boooooyah great tips!!!!! Service people are harsh and I am that! 20% (coz its easier to calculate) Bad service goes down hill to NIL! PLEASE don't feel obligated to tip for bad service! If they suck...WHY? would you give them money???? We work hard to be GREAT!!!!! FREAKIN' GREAT DESERVES GREAT!!!
 
If you have more money than the person providing the service than you should tip at least 1% of your net worth until properly redistributed. Quit trying to bring in things like work and responsibility into any discussion. It ain't going to fly, cause it ain't fair.

:floor:

Great suggestions so far.

I had another dilemma today. Went to Doc Green's on Ponce. I didn't tip because one has to order and wait at the counter for the order and self-serve one's drinks and utensils. Daughter was embarrassed. But I argued with her that just because it's more expensive than McDonald's, that's no reason to tip. :idontno:
 
sorry I don't tip fast food .....cept chicken store on 393 coz they so dang nice. And they let me have a tab if i'm broke!!!!!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top