• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Tofu

New posts
Have you tried Tempeh? It is a fermented Tofu that has a really firm texture. Some people love it - and some don't. I have found that it is one of the easiest forms of Tofu to work with. You can throw it in a stir fry or skillet and it cooks quickly. For the Health of It carries it.

Let us know how the switch goes for you. :wave:
 
Have you tried Tempeh? It is a fermented Tofu that has a really firm texture. Some people love it - and some don't. I have found that it is one of the easiest forms of Tofu to work with. You can throw it in a stir fry or skillet and it cooks quickly. For the Health of It carries it.

Let us know how the switch goes for you. :wave:

Nice Tar!

I have not tried Tempeh but I will ...thanks for the suggestion.:D
 
The pasta alone, in lasagna, has tons of calories. I hear people talk of using thinly sliced Eggplant as a pasta replacement in Lasagna.
 
TVP or textured vegetable protein is also an option to get non-meat protein into your diet. We used to eat it on really long camping trips and the ground beef substitute that you just add to recipes was actually pretty good.

Attempts to duplicate other meat products were not as successful, which is why some TVP canadian bacon nuggets are in a shallow grave in Northern Sasketchewan. :biggrin:
 
Nice Tar!

I have not tried Tempeh but I will ...thanks for the suggestion.:D

Your welcome!

I thought I would share this link I found.
http://www.soyfoods.com/soyfoodsdescriptions/descriptions.html
It lists all the different types of soy foods.

Personally I stick with tofu, tempeh, soy milk and occassionally miso, and tamari.

The pasta alone, in lasagna, has tons of calories. I hear people talk of using thinly sliced Eggplant as a pasta replacement in Lasagna.

I've also done a mix of summer squashes and eggplant - and it is yummy. :drool:
 
I often oven-fry tofu like this:

Slice 2# tofu into slices about 1/4 inch thick and either marinate in a soy marinade of some kind (I like Susan's Southern Marinade) or just dip it into some soy or tamari sauce before dredging.

Then mix up:
1 1/4 cups unbleached flour or whole wheat flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (avail. at health food stores--it's not regular yeast for bread)
2 Tbs. onion powder
1 Tbs. parsley flakes
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Dredge the tofu slices that were marinated or dunked in soy sauce in the flour mixture and put on a lightly greased baking pan. I spray just a spritz of oil over the top to help them brown. Bake them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until brown on the bottom and then if you want, flip them over and bake until brown on the other side. I don't usually have to if I spray them. The tofu comes out kind of crusty and a little chewy. It's great as a side "meat" with whatever veggies, rice or potatoes you want. It's also good in sandwiches and salads and is good cold the next day. It tastes like chicken---I think--it's been quite a while since I've eaten any chicken!

Also, I usually only do a block of tofu so I make the flavored flour mixture up and keep it in the fridge, using just enough to dredge up the one block. Then it's already mixed up for my next batch.
 
I don't have a recipe on hand, but I know my local Thai restaurant makes wonderful, battered deep-fried:D tofu wedges that go great in lot of different dishes. Particularly ones that have a lot of sauce for dipping.

I'll check with them on the recipe.
 
Last edited:
I don't have a recipe on hand, but I know my local Thai restaurant makes wonderful, battered deep-fried:D tofu wedges that go great in lot of different dishes. Particularly ones that have a lot of sauce for dipping.

I'll check with them on the recipe.

I use tempura batter (avail at most grocery stores) to coat and fry frim tofu with. It is bad for ya, but sooo yummy!

Make sure you lightly squeeze the tofu to remove excess water.
 
SWGB can probably help you out.:biggrin:

My sister is currently in posession of the big book of tofu. However other than a basic stir fry I can only remember this one:

1 package soft tofu
1 package hidden valley ranch

Using blender toss in tofu and blend, then slowly add the hidden valley ranch. THIS IS IMPORTANT: Let it refrigerate for at least 2 hours so the flavors can blend. If you don't it's like tofu puree with salt and dill.

Serve it to young kids, they can't tell the difference.
 
mmmmm I love deep fried tofu!!!

I don't have a recipe on hand, but I know my local Thai restaurant makes wonderful, battered deep-fried:D tofu wedges that go great in lot of different dishes. Particularly ones that have a lot of sauce for dipping.

I'll check with them on the recipe.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top