• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Tomato Pie

New posts
Sounds yummy, I make something similliar by using a baked pie crust, tomatoes, mayonnaise and parmesan cheese
 
This is better IMO. More Italian since no mayo. It's from my junior league's first cookbook.


Tomato Pie
1 9-inch frozen, unbaked deep-dish pie crust
8 ounces grated Mozzarella
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped basil
2 large summer tomatoes (or 2 large “ugly” tomatoes), preferably one red and one yellow for appearance
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Whole basil leaves for garnish

Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Add cheese to pie crust, and sprinkle basil on top. Arrange tomato slices over this, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Tastes similar to a margherita pizza. Great with grilled chicken or fish. Serves 6-8.
 
Last edited:
mmmm...tomatoes.....pie.....mmmmm.....
 
she keeps calling them...va-dhalia onions....that is just too damn affected for a sweet onion...ever-body knows they is called vi-day-lee-uh.
 
she keeps calling them...va-dhalia onions....that is just too damn affected for a sweet onion...ever-body knows they is called vi-day-lee-uh.

:lol:yeah, I got a real chuckle out of that too!
 
And didn't she say that you make it in August, because that's when Vidalia's come in? WTF? They start in May, and are gone by July, or am I crazy?
 
Well on the subject of maters. Does anyone have Lee Bailey's recipe for Tomato Souffle? I cannot find mine and don't even remember if I got it from a cookbook or magazine or what..... Never even made it, just kept hanging onto the recipe hoping one day to have the nerve to try. (falling souffle phobia) This could be the year.

Anyway. If anyone has that and could post it here, I would be most appreciative and would give some good rep when I have some to give.
 
And didn't she say that you make it in August, because that's when Vidalia's come in? WTF? They start in May, and are gone by July, or am I crazy?
From vidaliaonion.org:
Harvesting typically occurs from late April through mid-June. By using technology borrowed from the apple industry known as Controlled Atmosphere (CA) storage, Vidalia onions can be stored for several months to prolong the marketing season well into early fall.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top