GoodWitch58
Beach Fanatic
Yes, I agree. The thing that is so frustrating here is that much of the traffic problem is predictable; but it seems (I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) it seems that no one is managing the situation.
On June 30, the traffic volume on all roads leading into the beach was unbelieveable. 331 was backed up bumper to bumper (and almost not moving) southbound from the Walmart in DFS to Freeport. There were some cops out around 5 p.m. I was driving to a wedding in DFS from Santa Rosa. It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to get there (normally a half hour trip) and I was going northbound.
My son and his family were driving from Mississippi a normal 3 hour trip, it took
over 5 hours. They missed the wedding.
That was the beginning of the holiday weekend surge of tourists. Today, they were all going northbound on 331--and there seemed to be no notice to travelers about the delays, no cops directing traffic...little being done to manage a potentially dangerous situation. My recollection is that it is not much better during evacuation--but, I normally leave pretty early so there may be some management as the storm gets closer.
This lack of management, lack of vision, lack of common sense approach to everyday situations is what drives me crazy here in paradise. It's not as though we don't know tourists are coming--the TDC will tell you we are one of the #1 drive-to destinations in the country! We market for that--so, why don't we manage the traffic! Same reason we haven't managed the development and aren't managing the private ownership of the beach situation I guess
On June 30, the traffic volume on all roads leading into the beach was unbelieveable. 331 was backed up bumper to bumper (and almost not moving) southbound from the Walmart in DFS to Freeport. There were some cops out around 5 p.m. I was driving to a wedding in DFS from Santa Rosa. It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to get there (normally a half hour trip) and I was going northbound.
My son and his family were driving from Mississippi a normal 3 hour trip, it took
over 5 hours. They missed the wedding.
That was the beginning of the holiday weekend surge of tourists. Today, they were all going northbound on 331--and there seemed to be no notice to travelers about the delays, no cops directing traffic...little being done to manage a potentially dangerous situation. My recollection is that it is not much better during evacuation--but, I normally leave pretty early so there may be some management as the storm gets closer.
This lack of management, lack of vision, lack of common sense approach to everyday situations is what drives me crazy here in paradise. It's not as though we don't know tourists are coming--the TDC will tell you we are one of the #1 drive-to destinations in the country! We market for that--so, why don't we manage the traffic! Same reason we haven't managed the development and aren't managing the private ownership of the beach situation I guess
