• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Traffic

New posts
North Lake, actually there could be alternative ways out given a little management of the traffic situation and some coordination. I can think of several ways that people on different sections of 30A could go in addition to 331, especially if there was a staggered evacuation....and last Sunday there could have been traffic management and re-routing onto Highway 20 up to Crestview; Highway 20 over to Highway 81....there are options if you guys would just think about it in a more expansive way and educate the tourists.

I can see using 81, but Crestview is dangerous enough as it is without added help from us.

For routine Saturdays during busy season, the deputies do NOT need to be directing traffic. Hurricane evacuations yes, Saturday normal traffic no. Perhaps one could sit at the two intersections in Freeport and work the lights so northbound gets a longer light than those traveling in other directions (as the traffic unit does in the afternoons, when they are out and in the area), but do NOT take the deputy assigned to Freeport off of patrol to get out in the middle of the road. That's too dangerous, especially when all the motorists are :pissed: anyway.
 
The traffic I saw saturday morning was routine - no accidents, nothing to gawk at, no construction work going on etc. It was all a matter of volume and completely shocked me. I've never seen it like that!
 
When I see a potential hurricane brewing that may hit SoWal, I call our guests at our cottages and let them know they should fill their car up with gas as soon as possible to avoid lines at the gas stations; be ready to evacuate early to avoid crazy lines; and I assure them that if they are reasonable with leaving early, I'd take care of them (e.g., regarding any loss of payment for that part of their stay, even if it's not a "named" storm - I think rental agencies provide reimbursement to guests only if it's a "named storm" that hits the area, and I'm afraid by the time the guests know if a hurricane is going to hit the area, it may be too late to get a relatively smooth ride out of town). If we have to board up the cottages, they have to leave before we board them up, which can be a day or two before the storm. I once had some guests who didn't want to leave before a hurricane was possibly going to hit the area, but we had to make them leave so we could board up the windows and protect our cottage -- they were fine about it, though.

Most management companies offer travel insurance to protect guests from losing money during named storms. This is useful, but for me I'm happy to be a bit more flexible with guests to let them leave even if it's not 100% clear whether the storm will hit our area or not -- I certainly would get out of there if I was there, so I'll make it easy for our guests to do the same.

Hmmm, I guess I should post the hurricane evacuation route in the cottages. Ideally, I'd offer ideas for good places to stay once they're out of the area -- e.g., good hotels with pools/stuff to do/etc. Does anyone have any ideas of places/locations that are far enough away but that enable guests to get back to SoWal pretty quickly?
 
Truth be told, I'd rather the tourists go all the way back home for a storm. If they ride it out in DFS or Marianna, they're taking a hotel space away from someone who lives down here who is trying to stay reasonably close to their residence.

When we bugged out for Dennis, the closest pet-friendly hotels we could find with space were in Ocala and Jacksonville.
 
Truth be told, I'd rather the tourists go all the way back home for a storm. If they ride it out in DFS or Marianna, they're taking a hotel space away from someone who lives down here who is trying to stay reasonably close to their residence.

When we bugged out for Dennis, the closest pet-friendly hotels we could find with space were in Ocala and Jacksonville.


I totally agree with that. I have to stay close for work reasons (insurance). If you don't live here - go home and don't take up space from the people that have to stay close. Chances are - your vacation is over once the storm hits :roll: . It's a Risk you take coming to the beach at this time of the year.
 
Truth be told, I'd rather the tourists go all the way back home for a storm. If they ride it out in DFS or Marianna, they're taking a hotel space away from someone who lives down here who is trying to stay reasonably close to their residence.

When we bugged out for Dennis, the closest pet-friendly hotels we could find with space were in Ocala and Jacksonville.


I agree - or, if they insist on staying at the Budget Inn in DFS, at least flip me the keys to their home in Montgomery, I'll go stay there!
 
The traffic I saw saturday morning was routine - no accidents, nothing to gawk at, no construction work going on etc. It was all a matter of volume and completely shocked me. I've never seen it like that!


Saturday morning traffic = 10 am rental check out. I learned to stay away from 98/331 area from about 9 am to noon on Saturday.
 
Saturday morning traffic = 10 am rental check out. I learned to stay away from 98/331 area from about 9 am to noon on Saturday.

I knew it was checkout day, but was still appalled at the length of the traffic jam and how much it has increased. It's rare for me to be out and about that early on a saturday morning, but now I can add heavy traffic to my list of excuses why :cool:.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top