• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

TS Alberto

New posts
Glad you guys in the area are alright.

This is another reason this board is awesome. I stumbled upon it a week or so ago and come to it everyday. Maybe it is the beach bum in me (I am really a Kentucky hillbilly) or the storm geek that I am. Either way, glad you all are alright and thanks for the on the spot reporting.
 
SBilliter said:
Glad you guys in the area are alright.

This is another reason this board is awesome. I stumbled upon it a week or so ago and come to it everyday. Maybe it is the beach bum in me (I am really a Kentucky hillbilly) or the storm geek that I am. Either way, glad you all are alright and thanks for the on the spot reporting.

Another one sucked into the vortex! :clap_1: :biggrin:
 
I just received an interesting advisory from the NHC - LOL - I guess they are very tired!!!


000
WTNT61 KNHC 131633
TCUAT1
TROPICAL STORM ALBERTO TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL012006
1100 AM EDT TUE JUN 13 2006

...WARNING...
...HEADER INFORMATION WAS OBTAINED FROM THE
...LAST OFFICIAL FORECAST FILE. CHECK THE
...HEADER BLOCK CAREFULLY, ESPECIALLY THE
...SYSTEM STATUS AND THE TIME-DATE LINE


******** TCU EXAMPLE ********

...RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATES THAT
TROPICAL STORM ALICIA HAS REACHED HURRICANE
STRENGTH...

SHORTLY BEFORE 6 PM CDT...RECONNAISSANCE
AIRCRAFT INDICATED THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS IN TROPICAL STORM ALICIA HAD INCREASED
TO HURRICANE FORCE...DETAILS WILL FOLLOW IN A
SPECIAL ADVISORY AT 7 PM CDT.

******** END EXAMPLE ********


FORECASTER [YOUR LAST NAME]
 
Our family visited Seacrest Beach in 2003 and the sand was white, dry and fluffy - very nice. In 2005, we came the week after TS Arlene and all the fluffy white stuff was gone. In looking at the pictures after Alberto, it looks like the fluffy white stuff may be gone again. Did the storm take away much of the sand, or is it just very wet from the high tide and surf last night? We'll be arriving on for our vacation in a few days and I was wondering what to expect.
 
micki said:
Our family visited Seacrest Beach in 2003 and the sand was white, dry and fluffy - very nice. In 2005, we came the week after TS Arlene and all the fluffy white stuff was gone. In looking at the pictures after Alberto, it looks like the fluffy white stuff may be gone again. Did the storm take away much of the sand, or is it just very wet from the high tide and surf last night? We'll be arriving on for our vacation in a few days and I was wondering what to expect.
I have not been to the beach this morning, but if I had to guess, my guess would be that the white fluffy stuff is just offshore and has moved to the west. We probably received enough wave action that we may end up with a net positive gain of sand on the beach in the next week or so. Time will tell. Blue skies today with intense sun and patches of fluffy white and charcoal gray clouds.

Earlier today, I posted photos from yesterday into my photo album. Go look.
 
I figure that as long as our two little cottages are left standing and we have a beach nearby, I'll adjust to what Mother Nature does to the beaches. I have learned so much about storms and the changing beaches since we've had our places here (we bought at the peak of the fluffy-white-sand-and-rolling-dunes-covered-with-sea-oats-period -- about 5 months before Ivan). The most important thing I've learned is to enjoy and explore the beach as it is rather than wish for something else. Otherwise, I'd end up being disappointed with Mother Nature instead of in awe of her.
 
Today... back to normal.... red flags don't seem to matter do they? :idontno:
But it was a beautiful day!!!
 
Paula said:
I figure that as long as our two little cottages are left standing and we have a beach nearby, I'll adjust to what Mother Nature does to the beaches. I have learned so much about storms and the changing beaches since we've had our places here (we bought at the peak of the fluffy-white-sand-and-rolling-dunes-covered-with-sea-oats-period -- about 5 months before Ivan). The most important thing I've learned is to enjoy and explore the beach as it is rather than wish for something else. Otherwise, I'd end up being disappointed with Mother Nature instead of in awe of her.


VERY well said, Paula.:D
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top