• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

U build it

New posts

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
Has anyone used U build-it to build a home in this area?

I think it's a great idea, and would like to find out more about the process.
 
Never heard of it. If it has anything to do with you being your own contractor, good luck. :floor: I'd leave that to the pros, and even they have trouble with subs.
 
I can think of myriad potential problems w/ being your own contractor etc. that's why I want to find out more about the process from someone who has actually done it.
 
It seems that you do, but they sort of oversee the project & help you coordinate it for a flat fee instead of the usual %. Personally I'd never build a house w/o using an architect and a contractor as they EARN every penny, but I know that isn't an option for everyone.

I want to find out more about this as it keeps popping up more and more in conversation.

Their website is www.ubuildit.com
 
Typcially, these types of companies have the homeowner pull the permits and then have an experienced, but UNLICENSED "project manager" manage the project. I know of a couple of guys who do this and the reason that they are unlicensed is because they had their license revoked for various reasons. It is legal, but I would be very careful about who you are hiring.

Also, there is a state law that forbids rental or sale within two years, of any property that was built by a non-contractor owner. If you pull the permit, you are the builder.
 
Typcially, these types of companies have the homeowner pull the permits and then have an experienced, but UNLICENSED "project manager" manage the project. I know of a couple of guys who do this and the reason that they are unlicensed is because they had their license revoked for various reasons. It is legal, but I would be very careful about who you are hiring.

Also, there is a state law that forbids rental or sale within two years, of any property that was built by a non-contractor owner. If you pull the permit, you are the builder.
...and no lender will give you a construction loan if an unlicensed contractor pulls the permits and builds the house.
 
did not use them but i did meet the fellows and listened to their deal...as you would expect you exchange paying peter to pay paul for the info provided...best thing you could ever do is find out a reasonable per square foot building cost for the quality and type of structure you need...some say the "going rate" is around $150/ft for custom residential with all bells and whistles...maybe 100 for low end specs...it was a whole bunch lower than that just 2 or 3 years ago...and with the market like it is per/ft prices should be receding like home prices are...but are they?...u-decide...good luck
 
Yeah, this sounds like a really great idea. I think they have another office at Destin Commons. Nevermind, that's Build-A-Bear :roll:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top