• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Unusual Request

New posts

Chandra

Beach Fanatic
I'm searching for an inventor, a tinkerer, an alternative fuels maker
A master of solar ovens, a humanurist, a micro-hydro afficionado
A bicyclist deconstructionist
A Building w/o Borders or rural and developing world volunteer will even do

~~~

Seriously, I'm in the last stretch of finishing a self designed BA in Sustainable Community Development and I'm looking for someone who would be willing and interesting to be a mentor for one of my courses---Appropriate Technologies. For more information about the mentor program, see here: http://prescott.edu/students/adp/mentor_information.html
The mentor is not required to have a degree in the mentioned course, but experience in some aspect of the course is essential.

Some of my past mentors have been Cindy Meadows, Kriss Titus, Christian Wagley, Peter & Susan Horn, Sarah Kalinoski, and Kat Provencher.

Appropriate technology (AT) is technology that is designed with special consideration to the environmental, ethical, cultural, social and economical aspects of the community it is intended for. With these goals in mind, AT typically requires fewer resources, is easier to maintain, has a lower overall cost and less of an impact on the environment compared to industrialized practices.
 
Hmmm...lots of lookers, no takers. I know I'm an extreme idealist, but is there no one out here in SoWal that has made their own fuel, installed their own PV panels, rigged up a bicycle to pump water, built a structure from natural materials, thatched a roof with palmettos, made their own medicinal tinctures from native plants, or worked in a developing country doing these things? Maybe it's time to start an Appropriate Technologies think tank in SoWal.

Ok, I'm still fishing for ideas.
 
Good luck...it all sounds fascinating.
 
Last edited:
Hmmm...lots of lookers, no takers. I know I'm an extreme idealist, but is there no one out here in SoWal that has made their own fuel, installed their own PV panels, rigged up a bicycle to pump water, built a structure from natural materials, thatched a roof with palmettos, made their own medicinal tinctures from native plants, or worked in a developing country doing these things? Maybe it's time to start an Appropriate Technologies think tank in SoWal.

Ok, I'm still fishing for ideas.

The blender bike at Raw and Juicy?
 
Thanks Miss Kitty. The blender bike definitely falls under the category of appropriate technology. Oh, that just gave me an idea--as part of my coursework, I could document examples of AT that I discover in SoWal.
 
Thanks Miss Kitty. The blender bike definitely falls under the category of appropriate technology. Oh, that just gave me an idea--as part of my coursework, I could document examples of AT that I discover in SoWal.

Tell me more. I need to exercise what is left of my beautiful brain! :biggrin:
 
I'm searching for an inventor, a tinkerer, an alternative fuels maker
A master of solar ovens, a humanurist, a micro-hydro afficionado
A bicyclist deconstructionist
A Building w/o Borders or rural and developing world volunteer will even do

~~~

Seriously, I'm in the last stretch of finishing a self designed BA in Sustainable Community Development and I'm looking for someone who would be willing and interesting to be a mentor for one of my courses---Appropriate Technologies. For more information about the mentor program, see here: http://prescott.edu/students/adp/mentor_information.html
The mentor is not required to have a degree in the mentioned course, but experience in some aspect of the course is essential.

Some of my past mentors have been Cindy Meadows, Kriss Titus, Christian Wagley, Peter & Susan Horn, Sarah Kalinoski, and Kat Provencher.

Appropriate technology (AT) is technology that is designed with special consideration to the environmental, ethical, cultural, social and economical aspects of the community it is intended for. With these goals in mind, AT typically requires fewer resources, is easier to maintain, has a lower overall cost and less of an impact on the environment compared to industrialized practices.

Don't want much, do you? I've been interested in solar and wind energy, even static, (there was an actual machine that was self sustaining indefinately). We need a lot more of those!
 
I don't suppose cloth diapering kids counts? :idontno:

:floor:
I could mentor you to death about how to buy, use, and care for cloth diapers and other cloth products using hemp, bamboo, and other sustainable fibers.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top