• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Vacation plans and beach access

New posts

Darwin

Beach Comber
I hope all is well with this group and that Walton County has addressed the beach access issue. Today I sent the following email to the Walton County tourism office as well as the county commissioners. Depending on the response we may or may not be visiting your lovely beach again.


My family and I are starting the process of deciding where we will go on vacation next summer. Over the past 10+ years we have rented the same house in Seagrove, but last year my family and I were removed from the beach by a Walton County deputy after an irate man, identifying himself as a property owner, decided he did not like children playing on "his" beach. Prior to this incident we have wonderful memories of Seagrove, but obviously we do not want to set our family up for such a humiliating incident again.

Before committing to a Walton County vacation I have three questions I need answered:
1) Has Walton County addressed the beach access/trespassing issue and if so how?
2) Is Walton County still defining the public beach as only the "wet portion of the beach"?
3) How far to either side of the Pelayo beach access steps can we legally lay a towel, on dry sand, without the possibility of having a deputy called to remove us for trespassing?

We look forward to hearing from you so we can decide if Walton County and Seagrove is where we want to spend our summer vacation next year.
 
Of course it would come to this. It is not enough for the county to bury head in sand, keep quiet and the problem will just go away! It seems everyone but surfrider was happy that it was off the radar. As long as it isn't front page the bucks will roll in! THINK AGAIN!
 
Darwin you rock! :clap:

Way to let them know it is still an issue and a DECIDING factor in choosing Sowal as your vacation destination!

Please post their response if any!
 
Last edited:
I've felt all along that locals can rant all we want about "the beach belongs to everybody", but as soon as it becomes clear that people won't come to vacation and leave their money in SoWal because of getting jerked around on the beach, then it will quickly come to a head.

You should see the new Rosemary Beach newsletter. They are touting how many Seacrest people they have turned away from their beach accesses.
 
:yikes: Reeeaaallly. What's wrong with Seacrest peeps? Please post a copy of that part. :clap: I drop a little cash there occasionally. Maybe, I'll just move on with my friends and family if that's how they wanna be. :moon: Did Starbucks go to their head or sumpin'?.:leaving: :leaving: :leaving: :leaving: :leaving:

:wub: :wub: :wub: Seacrest rocks!!!:wub: :wub: :wub:
 
I've felt all along that locals can rant all we want about "the beach belongs to everybody", but as soon as it becomes clear that people won't come to vacation and leave their money in SoWal because of getting jerked around on the beach, then it will quickly come to a head.

You should see the new Rosemary Beach newsletter. They are touting how many Seacrest people they have turned away from their beach accesses.

Nice! Do you have a link/can you quote this? Sounds like "class" w/ a capital K to me!
 
Sorry, I don't have a link. I haven't looked at the Rosemary web site to see if it's there. I saw it in the first edition of the Rosemary news paper, like the Seaside Times. I'd imagine you could pick one up at one of the merchants in Rosemary.
 
Last edited:
we need a "disgusted" emoticon....ugh...
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top