• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Van Butler Elementary: Is our students' safety compromised?

New posts

Camellot

Beach Comber
Van Butler parents....I know we all love our school. It's a great school with a caring staff and an inviting atmosphere. The school has grown leaps and bounds over the past few years which have both pros and cons. But, one area of concern I want to focus on in this post is the size of the gym classes.

I was recently made aware that our children are attending gym class with, in some cases, over 120 children. There are 3 gym teachers that supervise the class. Simple math: that's 40 children per one adult. That's fine if we are talking about a study hall, but GYM?!? Have you ever witnessed a gym filled with 120 6-year olds running at the same time in all different directions? Insane!

So, is it safe for our K-4th grade children to be in a gymnasium filled with 100+ kids and only 3 teachers? If you answered "yes", then I challenge you to observe one of the kindergarten classes. My friend did, and what she witnessed was truly eye opening! In one instance, a student was climbing the bleachers in typical fashion, lost his balance, and fell stomach first onto the floor. The 3 teachers never saw it because they were attending to the other 120 students.

Granted, these things happen even in small class sizes. But, truth be told, instances like the one just mentioned, where children were getting hurt over and over again without any of the teachers noticing, happened all too often throughout the class. The children would console each other, which was sweet, yet really pitiful!

Now, think about teaching a class with 100+ kids in it. Can you imagine trying to teach 120 kids how to throw a ball, jump rope, do jumping jacks, or simply play a game? Impossible! The poor teachers have been totally dumped on and are completely overwhelmed by the numbers. They can't really teach; they cope.

So, what happens in a gym class this size? Our kids run. They run and they run and they run some more. Gym is more about crowd control than it is learning new skills and building upon them. The gym teachers are doing the best that they can. But, how are our kids supposed to learn the fundamental skills necessary to build upon and carry forward when all they do is run?

Gym is so much more than just getting exercise. Sure, running is better than nothing. So is eating a donut for breakfast instead of skipping breakfast all together. But, our children are experiencing an "accident waiting to happen" environment in addition to being robbed of learning the fundamental skills that are good for both the body and the mind. Those skills carry over into their book learning as well as strengthening and building their muscles.

Butler students have gym 4 times a week. The frequency is a good thing, but at what cost? Our students' safety? Butler has grown so big so fast that they haven't been able to keep up with the appropriate student-teacher ratio in gym class to provide a safe and effective learning environment. I have a feeling the school is pressured to provide gym on a frequent basis, but again, at what cost?

The solution? Well, there has to be one. We as concerned parents need to rally around the teachers and administrators to help find the solution. We need to do this before one of our students end up tragically hurt. My friend was told to contact the school board members to express her concern. I think that's a good place for all of us to start. Maybe the members aren't even aware of the issue. I believe it is our duty to protect our children, keep them safe, and provide them with the most effective learning environment, not to mention support our teachers. So, here's the link listing the board's contact information: www.walton.k12.fl.us/board/. Please consider contacting the board and let them know that something must be done immediately to the improve the teacher-student ratio.
Together, we WILL make a positive impact to improve the safety and quality of the gym classes!

If you question the severity of this issue, I again challenge you to attend one of the gym classes, specifically one of the younger classes. All 100+ children are all together, inside the gym, where it is loud and chaotic...RUNNING in all directions!
 
Butler elementary is busting at the seams. It is way past time to Stop letting kids not zoned for Butler got to the schools they are zoned for. The PE classes at Butler are not only dangerous, but all it is going to take is one kid to to get seriously injured and a law suit to shut this program down. Who is making the decisions at this school? Do you know they have 10 kindergarten classes at Butler this year! Parents you have a Voice use it! Yes it is a lot easier to just sit back and do nothing, let some other parent make some noise to keep these kids safe. But at what cost? I am planning on going down to Butler today to observe the this poor excuse of a PE program my child is in. I encourage you to do the same!
 
What amazes me more is that the gym is safe compared to other things. The gym is a minor problem compared to lack of security at the school. Have you ever seen other schools in the district? Or even Destin Elementary in Okaloosa County? All of our Walton County schools (elementary and middle) should have the fences around them like Destin Elementary. Several years ago we asked for fencing around the school and got the green fence that borders the woods behind the school. (good for keeping deer out - maybe).

yes - the schools have security cameras, but will those cameras stop someone from driving behind the school & taking a child that is walking by him/herself to the library? Yes - the kids do walk by themselves from the outer buildings to the main building. What's the camera going to do? The camera can't stop an abduction from happening. Who is constantly watching the video feed? The monitor is in the office, however the staff is incredibly busy and what happens? It's not watched. (not saying they should hire someone to just watch it, but it's useless except to capture the crimes on video - not to stop things from happening).

Yes I know - this is a "safe" area... If that were true then murders & thefts wouldn't happen here. I would hate to be the parent on the news that says "I never thought it could happen here" or "I never thought it could happen to my child, he/she was in school".

There needs to be better security, better organization, better thinking for our children's safety.

The bus situation needs to be fixed also. There is no reason to have grades 5-12 on one bus. And there is no reason why our kids are sitting in the aisle or standing while riding to or from school. Yes - this is happening. I will not let my kids ride the bus anymore because they are not safe standing while the bus is going 55-65 down Hwy 98. The only time my child rode the bus this year was to school & when the child got on the bus there were no seats left to sit in.

Something does need to be fixed with our school systems. (good thing it's an election year!) The safety and security of our children are at risk every day. I hear parents talk about it all the time, however they are only complaining to each other - they need to go to everyone involved in the school district & keep on them to get things done. When only one person complains nothing is done, however when a lot of people take a stand then they are noticed.
 
Momof2kids, you bring up a point that crossed my mind last week...security. I went to eat lunch with my 1st grader. (Lunch time is a different subject, but it's crazy in there too) Anyway, I asked the teacher if it would be okay if we walked back to class with them to look at the projects the kids just completed. When my other daughter and I left the room, there were 3 kids that came out of another classroom to go to the library. These are 1st graders & They were on their own. When we all stepped outside to get to the main building, I looked to the left and there was a construction worker sitting at a bench outside. They've been removing a trailer or something that was there. Now, I don't know the person, he looked nice enough, but it crossed my mind that a stranger was just sitting there OUTSIDE with access to the children. Maybe I'm overprotective but it made me a bit nervous. I don't even let my child walk home from the bus stop by herself...even though I know all my neighbors, I told the driver on the first day, If I'm not here to pick her up, dO NOT let her off the bus. It's only a short walk and our street dead ends, but i'll take no chances with the safety of my children. I don't feel the school should either.
 
It will only be a "good thing it is an election year" if parents show up to the polls and vote some incumbent school board members and the superintendent out of office. South Walton turnout was pathetic in the primary. Mrs. Anderson is assuming she will win in a landslide just because of her party affiliation. Step up parents, at least vote.
 
I have had my kid in 2 different schools in Walton county and I can attest this is not just a Butler problem. It is district. I truly hope this election brings about some change, our kids deserve much better!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top