• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Veggies

New posts

DD

SoWal Expert
Your favorites? Favorite ways to fix them? I am TRYING to develop more of a taste for them. Please help me like broccoli.:puke:
 
I love almost all veggies and adore broccoli.

Here is what I do with broccoli that negates a lot of the weird taste (it's not bitter, what is it?). Anyway, I cut the broccoli into florets (no stems -- I am a snob) and steam it in my steamer until it is well done. I saute a clove or two of garlic in some olive oil until it is just starting to brown, then toss it with the broccoli and dump some parmesan cheese on it. It is easy and most people like it.

I also love carrots & hummus together, sugar snap peas, those sweet little grape tomatoes and good corn.
 
I love almost all veggies and adore broccoli.

Here is what I do with broccoli that negates a lot of the weird taste (it's not bitter, what is it?). Anyway, I cut the broccoli into florets (no stems -- I am a snob) and steam it in my steamer until it is well done. I saute a clove or two of garlic in some olive oil until it is just starting to brown, then toss it with the broccoli and dump some parmesan cheese on it. It is easy and most people like it.

I also love carrots & hummus together, sugar snap peas, those sweet little grape tomatoes and good corn.

This sounds almost tolerable. I will try and get back to you. I don't like the stems either. To me, it's like eating tree limbs. I can do sugar snap peas and I love those little tomatoes (I've got two green ones on a vine outside) and I do love fresh corn. I made that Corn, Avocado and Tomato salad that I love so much last week. I could live on that. :wub:
 
I am so proud because I made fresh pico de gallo tonight AND fresh guac and it was sooo good. Easy too.

Your salad sounds delicious!
 
I am so proud because I made fresh pico de gallo tonight AND fresh guac and it was sooo good. Easy too.

Your salad sounds delicious!

Oooooooh! I love me some fresh guac!! I think I posted the salad recipe here last year, but I can't find it now. If you want it, I'll send it.
 
Oooooooh! I love me some fresh guac!! I think I posted the salad recipe here last year, but I can't find it now. If you want it, I'll send it.

Yes please! Thanks!
 
uncooked asparagus lined up on a cookie sheet, drizzle with evoo :lol:, bake in 350 degree oven for approx. 15 min. Remove & while still hot sprinkle with salt and parmesan cheese.
 
uncooked asparagus lined up on a cookie sheet, drizzle with evoo :lol:, bake in 350 degree oven for approx. 15 min. Remove & while still hot sprinkle with salt and parmesan cheese.

Yep. Love this!
 
You can roast okra, too, the same way your roast asparagus. EVOO, salt, pepper. I use a higher heat though -- about 425 degrees. Just don't cut the okra pods before roasting otherwise you'll get slime. Broccoli and cauliflower roast beautifully the same way! They get all brown and crunchy along the edges. Nom nom nom. Eat as is, or make soup out of the leftovers. I roast all of my veggies before making soup -- tomatoes, parsnips, carrots, turnips, garlic cloves. Roasting adds flavor and can turn even the most anemic vegetables into something fabulous.

Fried okra makes great "croutons" for a salad, although I'm not sure that's healthy.
 
I am all about steamed artichokes w/ butter, asparagus/mushrooms sauteed in butter, balsamic, and cracked black pepper, and fennel sauteed in olive oil w/ a touch of wine and balsamic.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top