• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Visiting in a few weeks and have a question

New posts

austin78735

Beach Comber
Hi everyone,
My family and I will be staying in Seacrest Beach by Camp Creek Lake. I am wondering if there are any restaurants or coffee shops within walking distance. I would love to be able to get up in the morning and walk somewhere for a cup of coffee.

Thanks--I have learned a lot from these boards and can't wait for our visit.
 
There might be somewhere at Alys beach. Not sure if the restaurant has opened there yet. Maybe one of the locals on the forum can answer. Otherwise the closest will be Seacrest North or Rosemary which isn't far but might be better and quicker by bike.
 
I don't get down to that end of 30A too often, but I think it's about 2 or 3 miles east to Rosemary Beach. There a few places there for breakfast/coffee. About 4 or 5 miles west is Amavida Coffee. Hopefully somebody from that end of 30A can help you out.

Enjoy your visit!!
 
Fonville press is going to be the closest, followed by Starbucks at Rosemary. Not sure about walking to those, but you can definitely bike. As for restaurants same issue on getting there, but there are tons:

Chops 30A-dinner
Wild Olives-breakfast and lunch
Blue by night/Summer Kitchen-lunch and dinner
Onano-lunch/dinner
Rosemary Wine Bar-only food would be chocolates and cheese plates, but the wine is excellent!
Shades-lunch/dinner
 
Bring some decent fresh roasted coffee beans, a grinder and a plug-in timer. Set up the coffee pot the night before and set the timer--wake up to a very decent (and very cheap) cup of coffee and a sunrise stroll down the beach.

.
 
While we were building our house, we usually stayed at Rosemary. I was training for 10K races, and it was about 10K from Eastern Green at Rosemary to Camp Creek Lake and back. Quite a hike for a cup of coffee. But it would be an easy bike ride.
 
I have discovered that in reality, everything we need is within walking distance.
Sort of true. I live 1.3 miles from where I work, so that's doable except for the extremely steep hill I'd have to climb on the way (worse than Cardiac Hill on the route of the Peachtree Road Race) and with books and laptop in tow. I'd definitely be "Stinky" in the warmer months. Hubby's office is 5 miles away, and they have a coat and tie policy but no showers, so he'd smell too badly the rest of the day. And there is no public transportation here. We could walk to church (1.5 miles), but the nearest grocery store is 3 miles away. Bicycles aren't practical because drivers aren't accustomed to accommodating bikes or joggers (that's why I beat on hoods). One of my colleagues started riding her bike to work and got run over by a truck because people here aren't used to looking for bicyclists. Her leg was broken, and she was out of work for a month, a long time when you are a professor and our semesters are 12 weeks long. It's not like Ph.D.'s are just hanging out on a street corner waiting to fill in for you while you recuperate for a month. It means a group of people have to add twelve hours a week to their class time, plus prep time, roughly equivalent to 48 hours a week. And that's if the institutuion can find someone with your area of expertise.

Sort of like when hubby went to his internist and complained about a pain in his knee. The doctor said, "You need to see a doctor about that." Excuse me, but wasn't he talking to a doctor? I mean, you wouldn't want an OB/GYN doing your heart surgery. You wouldn't want a computer science theorist (me) teaching hardware configuration (something I haven't done since grad school).
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top