• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

VRBeware

New posts

Matt J

SWGB
I've noticed an interesting scam on VRBO recently. The most recent was a gentleman that stated he was a sailor and his family would be coming down for a week and a half in November. Well then we get fishy, apparently he is having his finance company send the full rent and deposit plus additional monies for his family. I'm supossed to receive the check, then deposit it and forward the additional monies to his wife. Well I get a very funny looking "cashiers" check. Once I contacted the bank and found out that the routing number is completely bogus I have since turned over the emails and check to the USPS. Apparently the scam here is to have me deposit the check and then turn around and write another check out, and mail it, to the wife. Because the routing number is bogus it takes a while for the check to come back.
 
I've noticed an interesting scam on VRBO recently. The most recent was a gentleman that stated he was a sailor and his family would be coming down for a week and a half in November. Well then we get fishy, apparently he is having his finance company send the full rent and deposit plus additional monies for his family. I'm supossed to receive the check, then deposit it and forward the additional monies to his wife. Well I get a very funny looking "cashiers" check. Once I contacted the bank and found out that the routing number is completely bogus I have since turned over the emails and check to the USPS. Apparently the scam here is to have me deposit the check and then turn around and write another check out, and mail it, to the wife. Because the routing number is bogus it takes a while for the check to come back.

I've heard of this scam before. It was ebay related tho.
 
These scams and variations of them of perps sending 3rd party checks and requesting overage funds have been going on for years on all the rental sites by owner.
 
Thanks. I, too, have heard of these before (VRBO sometimes sends emails warning VRBO members of these scams). But it's always good to get a reminder so we're not caught off-guard and fall for it.
 
I get these all the time, mostly from vrbo want ad section when I do a last minute price, not directly off my vrbo ads. The scammers can pick your email contact address off there, but not directly off your vrbo ad as it is hidden.

Most obvious sign: the 'my company' or 'my travel agent' is paying but they are making the check for more to cover additional expenses, hence they need you to forward them the extra $$$. (They disappear as soon as I tell them I only accept checks in the amount of the rental)

Other Telltale signs:

UK yahoo address
Poor grammar
They will agree to any price you quote them, no matter how outrageous.
 
Had a friend that actually bit on one of these, except in this case it was a 5 series BMW he was selling on ebay. He sent them the extra $5k before he found out that the "Cashier's" check was bogus.:angry:

Tried to chase them down with no avail. They used FedEx so it was apparently not mail fraud (could not get the USPS interested).

bye bye $5k.:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:
 
My friend had it happen with her furniture business - same thing. Boogus check - wanted difference. Fortunately she caught it before she sent the money.
I appreciate you keeping us informed!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top