• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Walton commissioners deny Sheriff's request

New posts

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I got to meet Andy this afternoon and he did a really good job on this. The sound system was bad and it was hard to hear at times. We both had deadlines and had to get this in quick tonight. My article will come out tomorrow in the Herald.


Good job, Andy:clap:




Ralph Johnson did not show up for a public hearing he had requested

Andy Meinen

Tuesday February 26th, 2008

Comment on this Story | Read Comments

DeFUNIAK SPRINGS ? Walton County Sheriff Ralph Johnson was a no-show Tuesday at a public hearing that he requested two weeks ago to ask the County Commission for a budget amendment.

In his place, Johnson sent Sheriff?s Office Capt. Eddie Farris, who asked commissioners to approve an additional $311,431 to the Sheriff?s Office budget for 911 equipment.

The commission voted unanimously to deny the request.

Farris said the Sheriff?s Office had a contract with Motorola Corp. to upgrade its 911 equipment because the old system was obsolete. Farris said a contract was initiated in August to buy the new equipment, but because of ?delays and the equipment having to be built and put together? the money for the new system had to be handed back to the county at the end of the fiscal year in October.

The Sheriff?s Office returned nearly $700,000 in excess funds about two weeks ago from last year?s budget to the Walton County Clerk of Court, which is required by law. The money was given back nearly four months after it should have been.

Commission Chairman Larry Johnson said he was concerned about the Sheriff?s Office asking for more money, when it had a surplus last year. When Farris was asked if the Sheriff?s Office would have the same surplus this year because the same budget was approved, Farris said that only Johnson could answer that.

Farris said the 911 system is in place and operational, but he added that no money had been paid on the contract.

After the meeting, Farris said Johnson got tied up at the office and couldn?t make it to the meeting. When asked what the next step was for the Sheriff?s Office and if it could pay for the new system, Farris said that only Johnson could answer those questions.

Commissioner Sara Commander said the commission shouldn?t give the Sheriff?s Office more money until an audit of Johnson?s books comes out next month.

Several men in the gallery spoke during the public hearing.

Sonny Heath said that the county should watch over the Sheriff?s Office budget more closely.

?This entire thing smells of impropriety to me,? he said.

But Commissioner Cindy Meadows said that constitutional officers? budgets are not the responsibility of the commission. When the commission approves an officer?s budget, it?s up each officer to spend the money, unless it?s for a capital project.

Interim County Attorney Mike Burke said that if the Sheriff?s Office spends more than $200,000 on a capital project such as a building, then the commission must approve it. But the money for the 911 equipment is considered ?goods and services? and doesn?t require commissioners? approval, Burke said.

DeFuniak Springs resident Tom Terrell was upset that Johnson didn?t show to a public hearing he had requested.

?I think it is unbelievable, unconscionable that the constitutional officer chose not to meet with the board of county commissioners on an item that was this important,? he said. ?Now maybe some people don?t think $311,000 is very important. I tend to think it is extremely important, and to send someone else to represent him I think is beyond belief.?

Terrell recommended that the commission should get a state auditor to review the Sheriff?s Office?s books.

Daily News Staff Writer Andy Meinen can be reached at 654-6905.
 
Commission Chairman Larry Johnson said he was concerned about the Sheriff?s Office asking for more money, when it had a surplus last year. When Farris was asked if the Sheriff?s Office would have the same surplus this year because the same budget was approved, Farris said that only Johnson could answer that.

I emailed Andy to correct the Chairman's name. Curious, do the reporters that cover this area get a playbook as to who the players in government are? I am wondering if that is not something to put together. Maybe a directory, with contact information, pictures, and such.
 
I emailed Andy to correct the Chairman's name. Curious, do the reporters that cover this area get a playbook as to who the players in government are? I am wondering if that is not something to put together. Maybe a directory, with contact information, pictures, and such.

No playbook and I'll never sit in that section again. It was hard to hear and I got some really bad reception on my tape recorder. I had to ask Dotty Nist, our usual BCC reporter who a few people were. I could hear the BCC much better than Capt. Farris and having to make a deadline in under an hour (they were holding the press for me) was a little tough. I like to be able to play an entire interview back before I write one word about it but this was important to go to press tonight. :wave:
 
No playbook and I'll never sit in that section again. It was hard to hear and I got some really bad reception on my tape recorder. I had to ask Dotty Nist, our usual BCC reporter who a few people were. I could hear the BCC much better than Capt. Farris and having to make a deadline in under an hour (they were holding the press for me) was a little tough. I like to be able to play an entire interview back before I write one word about it but this was important to go to press tonight. :wave:

If I were the BCC that would be one of the few areas that you could sit in and see everything and hear everything. You should mention it to Commissioner Jones, I am sure he could get it cleared up somehow.
 
I thought one of the big issues being brought up for this request of funds was that the Sheriff never even got a bid for the $311K worth of goods. The BCC is required to get bids, but the Sheriff's Dept gets to do pretty much what they want. Smells like trouble to me, too.

aleonard, this might help you out, although that is a terrible photo of Commissioner Jones. >>>

2008%20County%20Commission.jpg
 
I thought one of the big issues being brought up for this request of funds was that the Sheriff never even got a bid for the $311K worth of goods. The BCC is required to get bids, but the Sheriff's Dept gets to do pretty much what they want. Smells like trouble to me, too.

aleonard, this might help you out, although that is a terrible photo of Commissioner Jones. >>>

2008%20County%20Commission.jpg
Jones is the one I wasn't familiar with and sitting in a line from where I was at it was hard sometimes to see who was talking. Thanks for the photo's SJ. I quoted someone about the bid process not being followed in my article.There were a few standout things about this meeting. I found the interaction between the BCC to be interesting as well and covered that rather intensely.:wave:
 
All I can say is that I hope everyone is paying attention and shows it during the upcoming election for sheriff. I also hope that the candidates that frequent this board also pay attention and realize that the "deals behind the badge" are starting to be scrutinized more closely.
 
I thought one of the big issues being brought up for this request of funds was that the Sheriff never even got a bid for the $311K worth of goods. The BCC is required to get bids, but the Sheriff's Dept gets to do pretty much what they want. Smells like trouble to me, too.

If it was an upgrade to existing equipment, I can understand the lack of a bid. The other thing they would have to take into account is the compatibility of the SO equipment with what is being used at the EOC and SW Fire. Even the BCC has exceptions that would allow you around the bid procedure for that situation.

But it is an awful lot of money. I thought all of those types of purchases were capital. But the county attorney said that only buildings and real estate were capital expenditures last night. On the school district side all equipment comes out of the capital budget.
 
If it was an upgrade to existing equipment, I can understand the lack of a bid. The other thing they would have to take into account is the compatibility of the SO equipment with what is being used at the EOC and SW Fire. Even the BCC has exceptions that would allow you around the bid procedure for that situation.

But it is an awful lot of money. I thought all of those types of purchases were capital. But the county attorney said that only buildings and real estate were capital expenditures last night. On the school district side all equipment comes out of the capital budget.

It was my understanding that the equipment was installed but they had not switched over to the new system and are scheduled to do that on Mar. 10. So, if you are still running on your old system and have not switched over to a new one, is it an upgrade or is it a new system? Or is it both:idontno:
 
It was my understanding that the equipment was installed but they had not switched over to the new system and are scheduled to do that on Mar. 10. So, if you are still running on your old system and have not switched over to a new one, is it an upgrade or is it a new system? Or is it both:idontno:

Now that is a good question. I guess it would take some research to figure out just what has happened.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top