Miss Critter
Beach Fanatic
I don't have stats to back this up, but I think many lenders, if not most, are delaying the foreclosure process to avoid absorbing more properties into there REO inventory. Thoughts?
A bunch of those houses are going to seed, too. Have you seen the blighted neighborhood of abandoned houses on the south side of 98 just east of Buddy's in Inlet Beach? The scene literally looks like a post Katrina neighborhood.It seems a lot have been winterized and locked up. Sitting empty until the bank can come close to recovering the bad debt.
Almost without exception, our evolving societal morays and trends toward tolerance have produced good changes. Examples are outlooks on divorce, sexual orientation, pre-marital sex, race, religious beliefs, abortion etc. But, IMHO, unfortunately the stigma that used to be attached to bankruptcy and foreclosure has been minimalized. I realize the effects on credit scores, but the feeling of"shame" the borrower should try to avoid doesn't exist anymore. I don't wish any psychological distress upon anyone or their family, but financial failure has resulted in a blame game instead of an act of taking personal responsibility. I'm not sure that a Sowal property owner that lives in Atlanta and can mail his keys to the bank (jingle mail) and take a hit to his credit score, represents adequate motivation in an era of blame someone else. All property owners suffer from this behavior--its stark effect on values speak volumes. Victimless lifestyles and personal choices deserve tolerance. Unfortunate illness and job loss deserve compassion and support. Overindulgence, greed, and speculation deserve more of a consequence than now exists for the borrower. I would say the lender should share the consequences but we as taxpayers have already picked up that tab.
![]()

Ah ha, an Analyst and a Therapist. The world's first Analrapist.![]()
OOOOOH, that's gonna leave a stain.
OOOOOH, that's gonna leave a stain.

punish the borrower, but recapitalize the lender?Almost without exception, our evolving societal morays and trends toward tolerance have produced good changes. Examples are outlooks on divorce, sexual orientation, pre-marital sex, race, religious beliefs, abortion etc. But, IMHO, unfortunately the stigma that used to be attached to bankruptcy and foreclosure has been minimalized. I realize the effects on credit scores, but the feeling of"shame" the borrower should try to avoid doesn't exist anymore. I don't wish any psychological distress upon anyone or their family, but financial failure has resulted in a blame game instead of an act of taking personal responsibility. I'm not sure that a Sowal property owner that lives in Atlanta and can mail his keys to the bank (jingle mail) and take a hit to his credit score, represents adequate motivation in an era of blame someone else. All property owners suffer from this behavior--its stark effect on values speak volumes. Victimless lifestyles and personal choices deserve tolerance. Unfortunate illness and job loss deserve compassion and support. Overindulgence, greed, and speculation deserve more of a consequence than now exists for the borrower. I would say the lender should share the consequences but we as taxpayers have already picked up that tab.
![]()
punish the borrower, but recapitalize the lender?