• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Walton County Sheriff Election 2016

New posts

Kurt

Admin
As reported on WZEP AM 1460:

A LOOK AT NEXT YEAR’S SHERIFF’S RACE

By: T.H. Merritt


...

Walton County Sheriff Michael A. Adkinson, Jr. is seeing strong public support in his second term as Sheriff. No one has stepped forward to challenge the popular Sheriff but potential candidates have until June 20th of next year to file.

With an open door policy, Adkinson can often be seen personally handling citizen complaints. Since becoming Sheriff, Adkinson has untangled and consolidated emergency communications in the county and is overseeing the construction of a new sub-station, (which is about 65% complete) in the fast growing area of Mossy Head. That substation is should be ready around September 1st.

The Sheriff is asking for just 3 positions that are patrol related due to the increased volume and tourism to Walton County as well as the growing population. Due to good personnel and resource management, this will be the first time in almost 10 years that additional patrol staff has been added.

The Sheriff’s has also harnessed the power of social media to engage the public and help them better understand the role of law enforcement. Public Information Officer Corey Dobridnia says after only three months on the job, she feels social media is our way of engaging the public and gaining their support and respect. It’s a great way to show off the good work our deputies do on a daily basis!

Adkinson hasn’t announced yet whether he intends to run for a third term. He needs only 418 signatures to qualify.
 
I think our sheriff has done a good job. Though I have a difficult time with a law enforcement leader and professional being elected and playing politician. It's the way it's done with County positions, I know.
 
Sheriff Mike Adkinson has been so far superior to those he replaced its not worth talking about. He sure has my vote!!!
 
I'm on board with another Adkinson term. I don't see eye to eye with him on everything, and I am a bit disheartened by civil asset forfeiture participation, you know, pulling a car over on the interstate, not finding drugs, but confiscating all the cash found and having incentive to do so because the money often goes straight into the sheriff department budget, but that is a national issue with a LOT of United States law enforcement agencies, not just ours. But otherwise, I have been impressed with how willing he is to engage with local citizens, the social media campaigns that keep us apprised of what's going on in the community, and his willingness to hold his employees accountable when they do something wrong. I also think he does a great job handling Spring Break season.
 
He originally said he didn't want to be a career Sheriff. I don't know if that has changed.
 
Shallows, you have been around long enough to know that almost nobody gives that job up voluntarily. They either get a bigger job (Tunnell in Bay co.) or get beat or stay forever (Woodham in Gadsden County.) They all say the same things and act the same way. It is just human nature. Even those who eventually retire generally run for something else (McDaniel in Jackson Co.) Very few just retire and leave politics. Even deputies are effected by the same bug. I have seen far too many who stayed too long.
 
Shallows, you have been around long enough to know that almost nobody gives that job up voluntarily. They either get a bigger job (Tunnell in Bay co.) or get beat or stay forever (Woodham in Gadsden County.) They all say the same things and act the same way. It is just human nature. Even those who eventually retire generally run for something else (McDaniel in Jackson Co.) Very few just retire and leave politics. Even deputies are effected by the same bug. I have seen far too many who stayed too long.

The thought that was popular was that this would be a stepping stone to something that would require him to move back to Tallahassee...but maybe he likes it here!!
 
He, and the deputies I have encountered, have done a great job. I will definitely vote for him.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top