• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Wanted: Cuban Sandwich

New posts

racy_t

Beach Comber
Have guests in town this week and one of them is craving a great Cuban Sandwich. Any ideas for lunch or dinner?
 
El Mercadito is a good choice, but let me also add Cocoons and Don Pedros . Each of these sandwiches taste completely different, and some "traditionalists" may frown upon or debate whether any of these are "true" Cubans. The mojo roasted pork is usually the hardest traditional ingredient to find in areas like ours (NW Florida and I haven't found it yet). If you don't want lettuce, tomato, mayo? on your Cuban, let them know at El Mercadito and they'll gladly leave it off.
 
We were at El Mercadito yesteday and my wife had their Puerto which is very similar to their Cuban. She raved about it. I had the Burrito and it was great, too. To me, it is one of the most unique places for lunch in the entire area.
 
I love Cocoon's (especially their Turkey Reuben), but I have never tried their Cuban. I enjoy the Cubans both from Don Pedro's and from El Mercadito. My favorite Cuban of the two, however, is El Mercadito! It is great! I also love their Tamale's and salsas!
 
Last edited:
While everyone is heaping praise on probably one of the best ,over-looked places around these parts, do partake of the banana- leaf wrapped tamales at El Mercadito. At $3.00 each, all I can say is "how can you sell them so low?"
 
I agree. El Mercadito rocks. Warning: it is not a fancy restaurant for those of you who insist on good or clever interior design where you dine. It's just an authentic, down-to-earth Latin grocery store with an snack bar that makes great food.:clap:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top