• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Watch This, Global Climate Change Content

New posts
Okay, that came out wrong. It seems that convincing some people that there is global climate change and that we can make a difference in it is futile as they always point to religion and say that god has a plan. This is actaully based on a discussion I had with someone at work.

There point was that no matter what we do the world is going to end soon and why bother. They actually told me they didn't care about recycling, reducing carbon emissions, etc.

My point was that saying "god has a plan" and not trying to make a change is a little lazy in my opinion. I honestly could not get this person to understand that if that were the case why not apply it to so many other problems in life; starvation, disease, war, etc.

Does this need more clarification?

SWGB, I know you meant no harm. :wave: It is hard to get your thoughts out and perceived the way you want them on this and any board....

I am one of the people that you describe in the first paragraph above. I was raised a certain way, I have questioned many things but it is etched in my brain and that is the way I believe and think. I "put myself in Gods hand's" as they say and run with it. Just like the tragedy I went through a year ago. People say, "you are doing so well" "how did you not fall apart?" I believe that the Lord guided me and held my hand (and is still holding it) the whole way. For someone who does not have the same faith as I, I understand how it could be hard to grasp.

I dont recycle and I probably should. I would not do it b/c of climate change but b/c of the loads of garbage. I try not to cut a tree unless it is necessary, I reuse plastic bottles, etc but I just dont see the point in not driving the car I want is going to help climate change.

THe world ending soon? who knows? heck my life could be over in 5 minutes. I dont think I am lazy, I just dont feel that altering things in my life for "global climate change" is that important. But kudos to those that do for it is what they feel is right...:wub::wave:
 
JR, thanks for posting
Here are my 2 cents on the matter,
everyone has their own beliefs which makes this world unique

I watched the video all the way...I was not impressed either. Please, dont "get in my face" - what was up with that??? I dont mind people voicing their opinion but getting their face all up in the camera???:shock:

I was raised "in the church" as some would say. I believe that what is going to happen to this world we live in is going to happen and there is not anything that we can do about it. slowing down the final outcome? maybe.

I was raised that God one day would destroy the world by fire and if that is correct then I guess global warning is right in line with the teachings that I was taught. I enjoy life to the fullest, live the best I can and I am secure with my faith that if something might happen while I am still here on Earth I would be ok. I love this world I live on and when I am gone/or it is gone I know that where I will be will be even better. :wave:


oh, ibd, there are just so many things I want to say here. but I'll keep it to this: many of us were also raised "a certain way", and even in a church. including myself. I think the way I was raised helped me understand that the earth is a precious gift - we should be grateful for its indescribable beauty, not to mention its role in sustaining life. all life.

and I have a few thoughts about earth and God too... (someone mentioned being religious, as if people who go to church aren't interested in caring for earth? I can't believe that. I may not be very religious, or go to church much, but that does not mean that I was not brought up "a certain way", and that I am not a believer. and I know many religious people and groups, including my own church, who feel strongly about respect for life - which means respect for earth and all its inhabitants.)

I believe we (society, mankind, nations) have done many things during our stewardship of earth to degrade her. and its up to us as a much more advanced (technologically and awareness of our impact) civilization to use our science and resources to restore what we can, correct our ways, and protect earth and ourselves. protect earth and life - now and in the far far away future.

If you want to talk God - then surely He expects us to love his creation and stop the degradation. especially since we are now coming to understand our own actions against creation. (I don't know anything about end of world stuff - it was never part of my upbringing - but I don't think that would have changed anything about our beliefs about the great mother earth).

so that's just my feeling. I think it matters greatly what we do here. the more we learn, the better.

its time to stop consuming earth, and start giving our time and resources to caring for her.

this thread touches so many different aspects of our society, from wealth and materialism, to the values we've passed on to our children, from individual consumerism to massive consumption, to world population, GARBAGE, fuel, you name it.

btw, recycling is one of the really easy ways we as individuals can help. if only to reduce garbage and landfills. it may be a small thing, but it is a thing.
 
Last edited:
ps. I'm not saying the video johnr posted was "all that". he obviously needs to utilize better presentation skills, etc. :lol: perhaps they can hire someone cuter, like Johnny Depp - then we'll all sit up and pay attention, won't we?:rolling:
 
interesting npr show/story about how even small villages are starting to understand their role in preserving earth...

Many Catholics in the Philippines, who make up more than 80 percent of the population, believe that God is responsible for natural phenomena. But it's a sentiment the church is trying to change ? and not just in the Philippines.
The Vatican has become very interested in climate change. This year, Pope Benedict XVI hosted a conference on global warming. And he has announced plans to preserve forests, install solar cells, and make Vatican City a carbon-neutral state.
The Vatican considers global warming a pressing issue ? in part because there is evidence that man is contributing to the problem, and in part because the effects will be felt most intensely by the poor.


http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15222134

and, a man before his time...
St. Francis is the patron saint of ecology. He truly saw himself as a simple servant and steward of creation?little brother to the birds and the fish and the lowly ivy. St. Francis reminds us that we are a part of our environment and are called to love and protect it.
 
Last edited:
Tootsie, thanks for making that point about the vatican taking action, there are also multiple Christian organizations forming to address climate change.

If anyone would like additional information regarding peak oil, human influence on the earths climate, and some practical solutions to enhance your everyday sustainable lifestyle (or get started), check this out:

SWELL
South Walton Environmental & Low-impact Living

Sunday, January 27, 2008, 5 pm

Seaside Repertory Theater
Meeting Hall Theatre in downtown Seaside, Florida

Arix Zalace will follow the film Crude Awakening, with a presentation
focusing on what we as individuals can do to transition and prepare
for climate change and peak oil. The evening will conclude with an
open discussion on both the movie and the presentation.

This is a free event and some food and drink will be available.

If you find yourself interested in the following things, join us:

? Sustainable land use and construction practices
? Harmonious living between human and natural communities
? ! Creation and preservation of beauty
? Socially and environmentally conscious action
? Fascinating conversation
? Excellent food and drink

We will have the S.W.E.L.L. meeting once a month at different locations in South Walton
to appreciate each others? company and provide a place for conversation
about creating an abundant future.

If you would like to be included on our list, send an email to: chandra@cfhdesignstudio.com
Also, check out our blog at: http://sustainingsowal.wordpress.com/
Please consider the environment before printing the attached flier.

Hope to see you there.

? Susan Horn ? Chandra Hartman

c h a n d r a f. h a r t m a n

residential + environmental
restorative design

member FGBC

cfhdesignstudio
56 e. georgie st.
santa rosa beach
florida, 32459

850.534.4488 (p + f)

www.cfhdesignstudio.com
 
oh, ibd, there are just so many things I want to say here. but I'll keep it to this: many of us were also raised "a certain way", and even in a church. including myself. I think the way I was raised helped me understand that the earth is a precious gift - we should be grateful for its indescribable beauty, not to mention its role in sustaining life. all life.

and I have a few thoughts about earth and God too... (someone mentioned being religious, as if people who go to church aren't interested in caring for earth? I can't believe that. I may not be very religious, or go to church much, but that does not mean that I was not brought up "a certain way", and that I am not a believer. and I know many religious people and groups, including my own church, who feel strongly about respect for life - which means respect for earth and all its inhabitants.)

I believe we (society, mankind, nations) have done many things during our stewardship of earth to degrade her. and its up to us as a much more advanced (technologically and awareness of our impact) civilization to use our science and resources to restore what we can, correct our ways, and protect earth and ourselves. protect earth and life - now and in the far far away future.

If you want to talk God - then surely He expects us to love his creation and stop the degradation. especially since we are now coming to understand our own actions against creation. (I don't know anything about end of world stuff - it was never part of my upbringing - but I don't think that would have changed anything about our beliefs about the great mother earth).

so that's just my feeling. I think it matters greatly what we do here. the more we learn, the better.

its time to stop consuming earth, and start giving our time and resources to caring for her.

this thread touches so many different aspects of our society, from wealth and materialism, to the values we've passed on to our children, from individual consumerism to massive consumption, to world population, GARBAGE, fuel, you name it.

btw, recycling is one of the really easy ways we as individuals can help. if only to reduce garbage and landfills. it may be a small thing, but it is a thing.

:wave::wave:hey gull, are we having deep thougths or what lately??:biggrin: (I havent even had a drink)

I actually agree with most of the things you said here - so since it seems (to me)to be getting to the point of beating a dead horse I will stop here. I luv ya and respect your opinion....

Um, yes, Johnny Depp, would be nice....especially if he was dressed as Capt Jack..:wub:
 
:wave::wave:hey gull, are we having deep thougths or what lately??:biggrin: (I havent even had a drink)

I actually agree with most of the things you said here - so since it seems (to me)to be getting to the point of beating a dead horse I will stop here. I luv ya and respect your opinion....

Um, yes, Johnny Depp, would be nice....especially if he was dressed as Capt Jack..:wub:

you don't have to agree with me, ibd. we all come from different places. just sharing mine. I think any discussion on our planet is important and could not kill a horse no matter how much is said. it has really become the issue among so many groups. without our planet, no other issue will matter.

interesting how many religious groups, including some conservative christians, are jumping on the global warming wagon. people do change their thinking when faced with more and more evidence that maybe we really are seriously degrading earth, and maybe we should take responsibility for our actions. one article I saw about an evangelical group mentioned a program they had about energy conservation, and one of their questions was... "what would Jesus drive?". I like it. :biggrin:

I'm forced to think about this stuff with my boys always watching some science stuff on tv with me forced to sit through such, plus I'm addicted to NPR - and all their fascinating topics and shows, not to mention several friends around here always talking about earth and politics and other crap... nothing new there. I'm just not always willing to take the time to write my thoughts, search for that great article I read last week for reference, and post my "deep thoughts" and take the risk of looking like an ass. guess i'm feeling a little brave. maybe I'm totally hormonal.. maybe I need to stfu and start going to Sally's Backside in the evenings.:lol:

oh, just had a thought (caution!)... okay, we had all that big discussion on the evolution/school thread. and there seem to be certain groups who would rather accept Int. Design, over evolution, which is an argument for God's existence. Fine, wonderful, its all good. but, why are many of these same folks not willing to go all out to take care of God's creation? just an observation, and a philosophical question - no one needs to respond to this, unless you have a good answer (and I am not inviting any butthead answers). and i don't think the end of time thing is a good enough answer either.
 
Last edited:
IMO destroying the planet because "God has a plan" is like not cleaning your house because the "developer has a plan".

You can believe it all you want, but at the end of the day you'll still be sitting in filth. :wave:
 
I saw this a while back. My feelings on convincing people that climate change is real is futile if they are religious. The reasoning there is that if they are religious and wrong I won't have to spend eternity with them.

Interpret as you wish.
I'm hoping we are all wrong....
 
Global warming is an interesting topic of discussion for me. Some folks get really "heated" when they defend their position that global warming exists, but I doubt that many have any clue of the facts. Further, it is amazing to me that Al Gore is now a leading expert on Climatology... how did that happen?

I recall back at Georgia Tech in the early 90's, global warming was a topic of discussion. This is not a new subject, so why all the renewed interest? I recall one of my professors teaching that global warming was a joke. In fact, we all seem to forget that in the 70's, global cooling was the greatest threat to our planet. Why do we allow ourselves to be manipulated by politicians and fear-mongers?

Carbon Dioxide accounts for less than 3/10's of one percent of the gases in the atmosphere. The most liberal of experts claim that humans cause roughly 20% of that amount. Why would the earth be so fragile that such a minute amount of CO2 would be cause for alarm? It is clear to me that the sun is the major cause of warming and cooling, not CO2. Evidently, folks don't understand this fact.

As far as the religious arguments against global warming... no one needs to go there when you have concrete facts that discount the argument. Religious leaders have adamantly supported "truths" that turned out to be false in time. Remember the belief by the early Christian Church that the Earth was the center of the universe, Heaven above, Hell beneath? The Sun rotated around the Earth? When Galileo pointed his telescope toward the Heavens, he saw something that brought him directly into conflict with the Church. In fact, it is very possible that the Pope at that time had his eyes put out...

My bet is that global warming as an issue will die in the next ten years. The problem is, another issue will take its place...

Little Fish
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top