• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Weird Foods

New posts
:floor: SO grew up on peanut butter and pickle sandwich's on white bread! And I love the half-popped kernels and "crispies".

Anyone ever had fried bologna sandwiches? You "fry" in the microwave - it curls in wierd ways and - prepare yourself for this but the grease pools in the cup it makes - and then you put it on white bread. Actually, now that I have kids of my own, I can't believe my mother let me eat this as now it really makes me queasy to think about. :puke: But, when I was younger, I ate it many many times at lunch (when I grew up, we walked home for lunch every day).
That peanut butter and pickle does sound kind of good. :blink: If your feeling more ethnic one day you can call this funny lookin' fried bologna a 'sombrero'. We used to put cheese on it too sometimes. :biggrin:
 
Fortunately or unfortunately however you want to take it I was raised by a vegetarian so fried bologna was never on the menu. We did however have cottage cheese, molasses, and wheat germ as a desert.

Right before my mother died she passed on the secret to my sister that the ranch dip we had coveted for years and fought over was in fact soft tofu blended to a paste and a packet of hidden valley ranch. Still hate tofu, but love that dip.
 
Fortunately or unfortunately however you want to take it I was raised by a vegetarian so fried bologna was never on the menu. We did however have cottage cheese, molasses, and wheat germ as a desert.

Right before my mother died she passed on the secret to my sister that the ranch dip we had coveted for years and fought over was in fact soft tofu blended to a paste and a packet of hidden valley ranch. Still hate tofu, but love that dip.

:blink: I don't know whether that's just really funny or really sad. TOFU!! Yuk.
 
We still think it's funny that she passed tofu off on us for all those years and had no idea. :D

It is funny. Sad that you didn't figure it out! :lol:
 
It really is good, even if you don't like tofu. I still have my fun serving it to unsuspecting party guests.
 
It really is good, even if you don't like tofu. I still have my fun serving it to unsuspecting party guests.

I'm just joshin' ya! But, I'll remember in case you ever come to a soiree! :lol:
 
My mother used to get creative to try and use up wild game. After elk tacos and elk meat loaf, I stopped eating anything that was supposed to be made with "ground beef".

Of course, it's hard to criticize her cooking since I will put cocktail/horseradish sauce on some random foods - leftover steak, venison, popcorn ;-).
 
My mother used to get creative to try and use up wild game. After elk tacos and elk meat loaf, I stopped eating anything that was supposed to be made with "ground beef".

Of course, it's hard to criticize her cooking since I will put cocktail/horseradish sauce on some random foods - leftover steak, venison, popcorn ;-).

"Ground Meat" was often suspect in my Mom's kitchen also:floor:
For example:
1. In the morning: open the frig & be greeted by a 1/2 thawed long curved whole beef tongue complete w/ taste buds.
2. Later that afternoon: VOILA! Heave extreme breath of relief that the offensive tongue has disappeared. Thrilled for Jingles the Dog who's surely enjoyed a "long tasty" treat.
3. Rut-Ro..."Hamburger" Pizza for supper.
4. Valiant effort to "swallow" the deception!!!:funn:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top