• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

What I'd do for a good watermelon...

New posts

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
In recent weeks, I've (stupidly) bought 8 (count'em EIGHT) watermelons from various sources thus far this summer, and have had ONE (:() that was "good", one that was "edible", and 6 that I cut open and then heaved off my back deck into the woods.....

What's a person got to do to get a decent watermelon? Has global warming, combined with genetic alteration, strip farming, organic denegration, ozone depletion, and Obama in control, stolen from us the ability to produce and enjoy the near-forgotten "Georgia Cannonball", or the Northern Striped, black seed-filled, and sugar-ripe watermelons of old?

I'd give good money (and give up my first-born, sex, and religion) for a watermelon that was edible..... Any ideas?:idontno:
 
Well, my grandfather always said they weren't good til the 4th of July, so if that's true, you've got two more days of the bad stuff. Hope you find a perfect one!! :wave:
 
Everytime I am at a produce stand some pour soul has to watch me thump and press and roll the watermelons over to look at their bellies - and then I always say to the other shopper, "You know what Ben Franklin said about melons?" and they look at me like I am crazy. Then I quote: "Men and melons are hard to know!" :cool: They usually just walk off. One day, I hope someone will say, "WHAT A GREAT QUOTE - that's SO true!" :biggrin:

My dh grows the BEST watermelons. Incredible texture and as sweet as cotton candy!

GOOD LUCK!!!

G
 
I'm trying to grow my own watermelons this year and thought I had a beauty when one ticked instead of thumped (or was it thumped instead of tickeed) but when I came in and cut it open it was a with a baby. Now my vines look sad, my melons are in the sand and I might just be following you to the grocery. So did anyone find a good source? What about those stands on the side of the road?
 
What I'd do for a good watermelon

my mom and dad just came up from Sarasota, and I had them searching for a "good watermelon" road-side along the way, without success. Seems that we've "genetically engineered" both seeds and taste out of our watermelons! I remember how, at the end of each school year, EVERYONE attended the last day of school for the sole reason that the school'd bring in truckloads of ice-cold black-seed-filled, honey-sweet watermelons to pass out to the graduating elementary school kids.....we'd eat until we'd either pee, or pop, or both..... I guess that, sometimes, "progress" doesn't necessarily mean that we're getting ahead.....
 
In recent weeks, I've (stupidly) bought 8 (count'em EIGHT) watermelons from various sources thus far this summer, and have had ONE (:() that was "good", one that was "edible", and 6 that I cut open and then heaved off my back deck into the woods.....

What's a person got to do to get a decent watermelon? Has global warming, combined with genetic alteration, strip farming, organic denegration, ozone depletion, and Obama in control, stolen from us the ability to produce and enjoy the near-forgotten "Georgia Cannonball", or the Northern Striped, black seed-filled, and sugar-ripe watermelons of old?

I'd give good money (and give up my first-born, sex, and religion) for a watermelon that was edible..... Any ideas?:idontno:


Donnie Richardson use to grow and sell some fine ones up 1087 in Mossy Head. I will try to get up there over the next couple of days and see if he has a crop this year and let you know.
 
What I'd do for a good watermelon....

Donnie Richardson use to grow and sell some fine ones up 1087 in Mossy Head. I will try to get up there over the next couple of days and see if he has a crop this year and let you know.

there is a special place in Heaven for folks such as you.....
 
I know where you're coming from; I feel the same way about melons and HATE getting those dry, velvet-interior peaches (even though the smell and feel is right).

I haven't found one lately, but back in the "olden daze" when a farmer would set up his watermelon stand--I'd go up to him and tell him to pick me out the best melon. He'd take this as a personal challenge, and then would insist I plug the melon to prove it was good (cut a triangle out of the melon so you could taste the fruit)....100% of the time, the melon was a winner (I'm sure he'd pick out another if it wasn't to my liking).

They surely wouldn't let you plug the melon, but maybe you can track down the supermarket produce guy or fruit stand operator and have them pick one out for you--with your batting average so far, it really couldn't hurt.
 
Well I'll be. I mostly just read and be jealous as you wonderful folks talk about your great time at paradise. I drool as you discuss turtles and tents. I then go look for a job close enough I might could move to. Then search for a condo I might could afford for 1 week. This happens daily usually more. Then I saw this watermelons thread and that I wish I could help you with. I live about 30 minutes from Hope Ar. Home of the largest watermelons in the world. Those things are delicious. No need to thump or roll. If you get it in Hope it is great. For what it is worth the Hope melons aren't ready yet.
 
Well I'll be. I mostly just read and be jealous as you wonderful folks talk about your great time at paradise. I drool as you discuss turtles and tents. I then go look for a job close enough I might could move to. Then search for a condo I might could afford for 1 week. This happens daily usually more. Then I saw this watermelons thread and that I wish I could help you with. I live about 30 minutes from Hope Ar. Home of the largest watermelons in the world. Those things are delicious. No need to thump or roll. If you get it in Hope it is great. For what it is worth the Hope melons aren't ready yet.
Maybe you could load up a truck and head this way, I bet there are those on the board who would find you a place to stay in exchange for one of those watermelons:D
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top