• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

What is a fair deposit?

New posts

Rocky

Beach Comber
I am attempting to rent a 3 bedroom 3.5 bath tier one townhome to snow birds and would like to know what is a fair deposit to request. Also, what is fair to "add on" if the renter has pets?

Any suggestions as to finding snow birds would also be appreciated.
 
I have a few 2 bedroom/2 bath condos down there.

Two different property managers - the one property mrg charges them $100.00 deposit - the other $500.00. :idontno: :idontno:
 
We pay $100.00 refundable deposit where we rent! It is a 2 br 2 1/2 ba townhouse right on the beach!
 
ladydebubba60 said:
We pay $100.00 refundable deposit where we rent! It is a 2 br 2 1/2 ba townhouse right on the beach!

You rent from the same place every year dont you Lady? That is probably why the low deposit. I have a 2/2.5 and I get $300 for that one.

I do not allow pets, but if you are considering it, here are some factors you may want to consider especially with sno-birds.
You do not know their housekeeping habits. The may allow the cat or small dog to come in bed with them or lie on furniture. if its a dog, is it flea protected?
There are so many variables to consider.

I have had mixed experiences with sno-birds. One group who we got to know takes exceptional care, replaces light bulbs if blown, sweeps up sand frequently, etc. They even go around grounds and pick up after other sno-birds! Other experiences have not been as pleasurable.

I have seen some owners that are pet friendly advertise, and they take a deposit suficient to cover expenses for deep cleaning of carpets and furniture in the event it is needed. I would call around for estimates from carpet /furniture cleaners and pest control companies and add this expense to your deposit funds. Carpet cleaners have a minimum of around $100 just to show up regardless of the sq. ftge. Add in furniture cleaning. if you have hardwood and the dog or cat urinates, how much would it cost you to replace the wood if it was damaged?
 
We just booked a 3 month rental for this winter and have pets. We paid a $300 deposit to book. When we arrive we pay the first month's rent plus a $150 non-refundable pet fee. This was typical from all of the places we looked at. Some did want the first month's rent a week or so before arrival...

Minnie
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top