• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

What is it?

New posts

micki

Beach Lover
We saw many of these floating near shore and stranded on the sand this evening in Seacrest. Is this a jellyfish? If so, what kind? And, do they sting? If it's not a jellyfish, what is it? Colorful little guy about one inch in diameter without the fringe.

whatsit.jpg
 
Oh I love these! Sometimes we see pink ones too- we imagine that they are boys and girls.

Still don't know what they are- sorry!
 
That is a "Blue Button." They aren't really a jelly fish, but rather an entire conglomerate of small animals called polyps. From what I've read, they don't sting.
 
Oh I love these! Sometimes we see pink ones too- we imagine that they are boys and girls.

Still don't know what they are- sorry!

At first I thought it was one of those blue jellyfish that you showed me on the beach once. Those sting don't they? It was a darker blue, almost irridescent, if I recall.
 
Mango,
I don't know what jdarg showed you, but the other two blue creatures which wash ashore in SoWal are the Portuguese Man of War and the By-the-Wind-Sailor (velella velella), neither of which are really jellyfish. The By-the-wind-sailor doesn't sting, but the Man of War does. The BTWSailor has more of a disc-like sail which catches the wind to move, while the Man of War has a bladder which it floats and rides the currents or waves. Otherwise, they look very similar.
 
Another Jellyfish?

Mango,
I don't know what jdarg showed you, but the other two blue creatures which wash ashore in SoWal are the Portuguese Man of War and the By-the-Wind-Sailor (velella velella), neither of which are really jellyfish. The By-the-wind-sailor doesn't sting, but the Man of War does. The BTWSailor has more of a disc-like sail which catches the wind to move, while the Man of War has a bladder which it floats and rides the currents or waves. Otherwise, they look very similar.

OK - we also saw this one, but there was no way I was touching it!
otherjelly.jpg

Can you identify this one, JOe?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the nature pics, Micki! That first one does remind me of the sex ed film from health class. ;-) Please keep posting your finds!

I bought the FL Audubon book at Sundog Books in Seaside at the suggestion of others. It sounds like something you would really enjoy!
 
This one is definitely a man o' war

We couldn't tell about the earlier one, but this one is surely a man o' war. I was brave enough to pick it up on sticks. We buried it in the wet sand at Rosemary if anyone wants it.

manowar.jpg
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top