• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

What time is Grayton's July 4 parade?

New posts

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Can someone tell me a bit more about the Grayton July 4 parade? What time does it start? Where does it start and go to? What is it like compared to the Rosemary Beach and Seaside parades? Can people join in? Thanks.
 
Years ago, it was whenever folks with banging heads rolled out of bed and cranked up their rusty 4-wheel drive vehicles, or were able to pedal a bike or pull a wagon full of kids. When you heard horns honking, you knew it was time to find your bathing suit, grab a beer, and find your keys. After a few passes around town, the mechanized part of the procession would head on over to Seaside to collide with their uppity parade. It was a clash of the haves and have nots.

The last couple of years at Grayton, it has started around 8 am, lining up at the Red Bar and looping around town, with shinier vehicles and shinier people, almost all of whom are now haves. Having a definite start time is the first sign that it is all downhill from here. The people, their dogs, and their conveyances are decorated, but nothing like a real parade with floats.
http://www.sowal.com/photos-070405.html

I have only glimpsed the Seaside parade, years ago during the aforementioned clash. It is more elaborate with decorated floats and an absence of rust.

I have not seen the Rosemary parade, but am certain this guy is not in it:

050704-grayton-121.jpg
 
Kurt those pictures are great, we always try to be on vacation :cool: that week so we can see the parade.......very cool
 
Nice story and photo, Kurt. I figured the Grayton parade was more like the ones we had growing up. I still remember using crepe paper to decorate our bikes.
 
Paula said:
Nice story and photo, Kurt. I figured the Grayton parade was more like the ones we had growing up. I still remember using crepe paper to decorate our bikes.

:clap_1: ...and attaching playing cards to our spokes with clothespins!!!! Awesome sound!!!
 
kurt said:
Years ago, it was whenever folks with banging heads rolled out of bed and cranked up their rusty 4-wheel drive vehicles, or were able to pedal a bike or pull a wagon full of kids. When you heard horns honking, you knew it was time to find your bathing suit, grab a beer, and find your keys. After a few passes around town, the mechanized part of the procession would head on over to Seaside to collide with their uppity parade. It was a clash of the haves and have nots.

The last couple of years at Grayton, it has started around 8 am, lining up at the Red Bar and looping around town, with shinier vehicles and shinier people, almost all of whom are now haves. Having a definite start time is the first sign that it is all downhill from here. The people, their dogs, and their conveyances are decorated, but nothing like a real parade with floats.
http://www.sowal.com/photos-070405.html

I have only glimpsed the Seaside parade, years ago during the aforementioned clash. It is more elaborate with decorated floats and an absence of rust.

I have not seen the Rosemary parade, but am certain this guy is not in it:

050704-grayton-121.jpg

Having been in just about every Grayton Beach 4th of July parade since the beginning of time....I can say that you wouldn't even say that "Rosemary Beach" and/or "Seaside" were in the same league as the Grayton parade. Last year's parade was so organized and full of paraders I almost forgot where we were! :funn: Your description, Kurt, is right on the money. We started the parades more or less for something to do. There were only a few folks in the parade and no formal announcements about start time or route.

It did take a few years before we realized that the Seasiders didn't really appreciate the characters from the Grayton parade. Civilization is even reaching us now, though, and we seem to have a beginning time and place with refreshments at the conclusion.

We're already planning for this year's parade as our house is also celebrating a milestone....50 years old and full of memories. :clap_1: :clap_1:
 
We were renting in Grayton 2 years ago on July 4th, and we all loved the parade. The aftermath of the fireworks on the beach was not so enjoyable.
 
Bob said:
We were renting in Grayton 2 years ago on July 4th, and we all loved the parade. The aftermath of the fireworks on the beach was not so enjoyable.


I agree about the fireworks. Just don't do the beach after dark on the 4th. I'm usually too tired anyway so it doesn't bother me. :funn:
 
Oldtimer said:
I agree about the fireworks. Just don't do the beach after dark on the 4th. I'm usually too tired anyway so it doesn't bother me. :funn:

Your porch is a great and safe place to watch I would imagine. ;-)
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top