• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

When do YOU evacuate?

New posts
How soon before landfall do they usually call for evacuation? Will they probably be doing this tonight or tomorrow?
 
I recognize your avatar. Are you here?
 
Last edited:
If you are in a low area or anywhere near the Gulf - DO NOT STAY.

Most injuries and deaths (other than drownings) are from accidents before, during and after a storm. Falling trees, live power lines, car accidents, chain saw incidents, etc.

Do not run a generator indoors, or in a garage or other enclosed space. Do not grill or use a propane stove indoors.

During a storm, emergency personnel can not help you. A minor incident could be life threatening, especially with children, the elderly, or those with special needs.

Even if you survive a storm, being in a devestated area without power or other services can make your life miserable.

We have dodged a couple of bullets. Do not have a false sense of security.
 
Beachlover2 said:
How soon before landfall do they usually call for evacuation? Will they probably be doing this tonight or tomorrow?


As soon as possible--when they get a better idea of where it is going. Looks like all the computer models are in agreement that Katrina is coming to visit us. Some good advice I got once--reserve a hotel room west of the track and one east of the track. When there is a better idea of where Katrina is going, cancel one room and head to the other.
 
To Kurt's list, I will add to stay out of the water ie - Gulf , Bay, and Lakes, after the storm. There is hidden debris out there that could put you six feet under, also, there is risk of contamination from the septic systems.
 
Smiling JOe said:
Well, my current gutometer is tipping into the red zone. I am leaning slightly toward the get the heck out of town plan. I wonder what New Orleans is like this time of year?

I hear the Handgrenades are a beautiful shade of green... :biggrin:
 
My plan has been to get out of here about 24 hours (depending on time of day) before it is supposed to hit. Doing this puts me on the road after most people have gone so I miss the traffic. I also miss most of the leading storms on my drive back to Atlanta.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top