• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Where is the best seafood

New posts

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
in sowal, destin, etc? I live here and I just don't know. I have family coming into town this week and they are going to want seafood every day. And I'm not talking about fancy dining seafood. I'm talking about a good ole fried seafood platter, complete with baked potato and slaw. Nicks on the bay, Seagrove Market... and I've heard about some little place in Destin but don't remember - Destin Seafood?

I told my sister from Bham that she has a lot more seafood in her town than here, and really good stuff too.

I miss Nicks..

thanks!
 
Toots...Send them to Old Bay Steamer...oh my god. The best. It's far, but it's so worth it. :drool:
 
I sure do enjoy the fried grouper po-boy at D&K's in Grayton for lunch. I have never had anything fried at Bayou Bill's, but I recently had good boiled blue crabs there. If you want to blow some cash, I have recently had wonderful grilled seafood at Criolla's.
 
better ask tyler if it's ok to recommend these places. he may have had a bad experience there at some point, or somebody may have looked at him the wrong way.

at the risk of suffering his wrath, i will say that when we took the nephews to bayou bill's, a good time was had by all. be prepared to wait though, or go early.
 
Your place! If you're in the mood to cook, go to Goatfeathers and get fish, go to Publix and get corn, a bag salad, and tomatoes. Grill the fish and corn, and voil?! Dinner. Or you can get Goatfeathers to steam shrimp for you and just boil the corn.

As far as a seafood restaurant goes, I suppose that my favorite is Seagrove Market Caf? just because of the hushpuppies. :D They have old-school fried seafood platters, but you can get the fish grilled, too.
 
D&K Cafe in Grayton has wonderful boiled shrimp and gumbo, plus a very good fried fish salad, and yummy oysters Bieneville. Delicious key lime pie, too.

Seafood Market Cafe has the best fried seafood at the best prices. Not the best key lime pie.

The Red Bar has the best crab cakes, as you know, Tootsie!

We like Captain Anderson's in Panty Maw City for icy martinis and a wide variety of delicious seafood. Also, the atmosphere is great fun and a stroll past the fishing boats before or after dinner is enjoyable. They were closed for a big remodel, but I think they have reopened by now.

Marty and I also enjoy The Crab Trap on Old Hwy. 98 in Destin. The prices are higher than in years past, but the food is still good. You can get a huge fried seafood platter big enough for four people, if you have soup or salad, too. Over by the restrooms, they also have some fascinating hurricane photos. And it's fun to watch the volleyball and touch football games on the beach, if it's still light outside. This is one of those yesteryear places.

The Corner Cafe, at the traffic signal in Freeport, isn't fancy but offers astonishing value. You can get a large platter heaped with shrimp cooked any way you want for less than $5. They also have a very good hamburger, if you have children along. And for those smoked mullet fans, they've got it! If you're wondering why there's a plastic laundry basket on the wall with the fishing paraphanalia, that's one of the best shrimp traps you'll ever use. The Cafe is also a well drilling business, and it's fun when the well drillers come in at noon for a lunch of mullet and veggies.

For God's sake, don't go to Chapman's (between the Bay Bridge and Freeport), if you want to live to see another vacation at South Walton!
 
Schooners on the beach in PCB was the best fried I have ever had. :clap_1: The drinks are to die for!! Of course you won't know if you died after a couple of them. :floor:
But seriously -- The Boatyard (sister property next to Captun Andersons) is good but not as good. The long timers at Schooners are a fun bunch.
 
My mouth is watering right now for a grouper po' boy platter...fried, of course. When we were down in Jan and Feb, my husband and I tried to find the "best" grouper sandwich on and around 30A...we went to K&D's and the Seagrove Market Cafe in Grayton Beach/Seagrove, the Crab Trap (Destin), Uncle Ernies (Panama City), Blue Orleans (on 30A), the Boatyard (PC), Calypso Grill (Panama City Beach)...oh did I mention K&D's and the Seagrove Market ; ) YUM! :drool: Really, they were all soooo good!

Oh, and if you decide to go the Boatyard for lunch, try to BLT...Bacon, Lobster and Tomato...sensational! The Calypso Grill has a great appetizer called "beach balls" too. Staff's not too far over the bridge west of Destin has great soft shell crabs...yum again...after all this fried and rich food, perhaps I should stick to salads for a while. Nah!
 
whitesands said:
My mouth is watering right now for a grouper po' boy platter...fried, of course. When we were down in Jan and Feb, my husband and I tried to find the "best" grouper sandwich on and around 30A...we went to K&D's and the Seagrove Market Cafe in Grayton Beach/Seagrove, the Crab Trap (Destin), Uncle Ernies (Panama City), Blue Orleans (on 30A), the Boatyard (PC), Calypso Grill (Panama City Beach)...oh did I mention K&D's and the Seagrove Market ; ) YUM! :drool: Really, they were all soooo good!

Oh, and if you decide to go the Boatyard for lunch, try to BLT...Bacon,
Lobster and Tomato...sensational! The Calypso Grill has a great appetizer called "beach balls" too. Staff's not too far over the bridge west of Destin has great soft shell crabs...yum again...after all this fried and rich food, perhaps I should stick to salads for a while. Nah!


I have heard good things about Staff's in Destin - your good basic seafood?

Beleive me, I am very familiar with seafood along 30A and not too impressed - except for the grouper sandwich at Smiling Fish. But, I am looking for your good ole seafood platter. You will not find it at D&K's or Redbar or, well - you will find it at Seagrove Market and it's okay for a good quick meal that's not too expensive - but.... crabtrap on old 98 a little too touristy and not really real food...

so, I think Captain Anderson's at Panama City Beach is still the spot! From what I've heard from SJ earlier this evening... and Bayou Bill's - which I haven't visited in upteen zillion years - we're gonna have to go!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top