• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Who opened the outflow?

New posts
From my observation of the northern shoreline (across 30A) during the week, the level looked low, so I don't think it was near that trigger point (plus I doubt the kids got DEP approval!).
The level was really high on the beach. You may be right about kids. Who knows? There was enough moonlight that you would think the cameras would have caught something, but no guarantees.
 
The level was really high on the beach. You may be right about kids. Who knows? There was enough moonlight that you would think the cameras would have caught something, but no guarantees.


To clarify: this was at Eastern Lake, and some adults nearby told me they had seen the kids dig it open around 10-11 that morning. We had been walking through knee-deep Eastern Lake water on the beach end all week, which seemed low to me compared to recent visits.
 
To clarify: this was at Eastern Lake, and some adults nearby told me they had seen the kids dig it open around 10-11 that morning. We had been walking through knee-deep Eastern Lake water on the beach end all week, which seemed low to me compared to recent visits.
Gotcha.
 
I really wish I knew what you guys are talking about. Eastern Lake Inlet is breaking out regularly, much better than it has been in 7 or 8 years, and that is a good thing. Has anybody noticed the backflow of salt water into the lake? Also, a good thing. Not so much scrutiny and micromanagement. OK?
 
I really wish I knew what you guys are talking about. Eastern Lake Inlet is breaking out regularly, much better than it has been in 7 or 8 years, and that is a good thing. Has anybody noticed the backflow of salt water into the lake? Also, a good thing. Not so much scrutiny and micromanagement. OK?


That was my point - it was breaking out regularly at the southeast end of the isthmus, apparently with high tide most days, June 11-18, but on the morning of June 19, some kids dug it out on their own, due south, and the isthmus crumbled from east and west and the outflow started gushing out into the Gulf.
 
I've never seen so much gulf water flowing in to the lakes over an extended period. I'm afraid it may indicate something less than ideal. Like beach sand levels too low.
 
Subtle sea level rise due to climate change?
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top