• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

WTF! This needs to be stopped...

New posts
Smiling JOe said:
Well, I am sure if you are feeding your horses bailed hay in the winter, Big Oil got you there. :bang: So horses dont work. Bicycle tires are made from petrolium products, as is the plastic containers from which most milk jugs are made, so that you can add to your coffee prior to leaving for work. I guess even the rubber on the bottom of my birks are made from some petrolium resource. :bang:

Oh SJ...there is no escaping it! You are doing what you can...
 
Sueshore said:
Oh SJ...there is no escaping it! You are doing what you can...

I don't know about all of that, but I did get Publix in Watercolor to offer cloth bags for sale, so that you can reuse them instead of the plastic bags, which are made from petrolium, for your groceries. All of that plastic was strangling me. Thanks to Publix for listening and taking action. :D They say, "Stop the Cycle - RECYCLE".

:clap_1: to Publix.
 
I guess I should have mentioned that I worked for a major oil and gas company for 15 years. I worked in their research facility and got a chance to see each and every aspect of the company's operation. I understand the issues.

The company I worked for spent a lot of time and money and energy trying to protect the environment. I am proud of how they approached this issue, but it doesn't change the fact that oil rigs and beaches don't get along very well.

One example is how they tried to come up with a way to "hide" a platform that was just offshore at Dauphin Island. Mirrors, paint colors, etc. This was a big issue on Dauphin Island and the company put a lot of effort into being good neighbors to the folks there. It worked pretty well until Hurricane Katrina...

-Barbie
 
Barbie said:
...
One example is how they tried to come up with a way to "hide" a platform that was just offshore at Dauphin Island. Mirrors, paint colors, etc. This was a big issue on Dauphin Island and the company put a lot of effort into being good neighbors to the folks there. It worked pretty well until Hurricane Katrina...

-Barbie

Interesting. Sounds like the cell towers in ATL, disguised as big plastic trees. When looking around, you think, "Who put the plastic tree there, and why is it twice the size of the real trees?"
 
Barbie said:
I guess I should have mentioned that I worked for a major oil and gas company for 15 years. I worked in their research facility and got a chance to see each and every aspect of the company's operation. I understand the issues..... -Barbie


:clap_1: Barbie has credibility! Gotta watch out for those avatars and "Buffy"-type names.

Thanks for your input! and :welcome:
 
My sister & her family stayed in Gulf Shores, AL a few years ago - you could see some of the oil platforms in her pictures. It's one of the reasons we gravitated east to the Panhandle when we decided to take a beach vacation.
 
Smiling JOe said:
I don't know about all of that, but I did get Publix in Watercolor to offer cloth bags for sale, so that you can reuse them instead of the plastic bags, which are made from petrolium, for your groceries. All of that plastic was strangling me. Thanks to Publix for listening and taking action. :D They say, "Stop the Cycle - RECYCLE".
http://farmindustrynews.com/mag/farming_plastic_corn/index.html

won't be long until those bags are made from corn oil

I think wal-mart's may already be as they seem to last about 3 seconds before ripping apart - or they have a huge amount of corn starch in them as a biogradable reclycer and it can't take the moisture in the air down here
 
"I got beach tar on my feet"....Joni Mitchell

Been there, done that, dealt with it in Galveston. I was always told it was from ships rather than pipelines.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top