• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

your help needed for shoreline funding

New posts

Sally

Beach Fanatic
Hello -

Please take a few minutes of your time to send a message to your State Senators Martinez and Nelson asking for their support with federal funding for shoreline protection. This is very very important for Walton County as we begin to move forward to restore more of our critically eroded beaches. By requesting the Senators support of this bill Walton County could receive federal grant dollars. Simply copy the web address below and click through to send your message. Thank you for taking the time to send this valuable message.

http://capwiz.com/mandcmp/go/WaltonCo

Kriss Titus


Kriss Titus
Executive Director
Beaches of South Walton TDC
P. O. Box 1248
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida 32459
(850) 267-1216 ext. 126
(800) 822-6877
(850) 267-3943 Fax
Visit our web site at www.beachesofsouthwalton.com
 
Just say no

How about writing to your legislators and instead asking that structures not be built so close to the shore and in zones that are destined to be affected by storm surge? Then there is no need for money for restoration, just let the beaches behave the way they have for thousands of years. If people have built too close, we shouldn't be subsidizing their foolhardiness and greed. The erosion problem probably wouldn't exist if we still had our dunes. If only some of you had seen the area in the 1960's with 50 foot dunes.

I've seen the "restoration" of the beaches in Panama City Beach and Miami Beach. The sand is never the same.

I assume TDC is Tourist Development Council. If you want to keep tourists coming, protect the beaches from the avarice that has already ruined most of Panama City Beach. I personally don't care about attracting tourists. A few people benefit, otherwise tourism just provides minimum wage jobs and taxes our infrastructure.
 
Re: Just say no

pmd8 said:
How about writing to your legislators and instead asking that structures not be built so close to the shore and in zones that are destined to be affected by storm surge? Then there is no need for money for restoration, just let the beaches behave the way they have for thousands of years. If people have built too close, we shouldn't be subsidizing their foolhardiness and greed. The erosion problem probably wouldn't exist if we still had our dunes. If only some of you had seen the area in the 1960's with 50 foot dunes.

:clap_1::clap_1::clap_1:
 
Re: Just say no

pmd8 said:
I personally don't care about attracting tourists. A few people benefit, otherwise tourism just provides minimum wage jobs and taxes our infrastructure.

Our entire economy is based on tourism so you'd better care. Every full-time resident in SoWal is affected in some way by tourism. It goes much deeper than minimum wage jobs. What about the small business owners, teachers, contractors, fire fighters, architects, doctors, realtors (thats for S.J.). Without tourists--people who come to our community to spend their money--none of us would have jobs. I know many, many families who are already struggling to get by with the slow-down of the real estate market. These are not wealthy people, but regular middle class families who have made their homes here and don't want to leave but may have to. Soon SoWal may be without its small business, teachers, fire fighters, doctors, etc. and then maybe you'll start caring more about the health of your entire community. Hopefully you'll recognize the importance of tourism because right now, its all we have.
 
Smiling JOe said:
oops. I meant to clap for only the first paragraph, not the etire post.


I'm glad the hear that. I've been wondering just who you intended to sell houses to if all the tourists left the area . . . :cool:
 
Re: Just say no

There seem to be a number of people who feel this way. They also seem to dislike the second homeowners who have invested in the area. Sometimes I feel hated. It is very puzzling indeed. I can understand how violated and painful it feels to see folks trashing the beaches and septic tanks floating in the gulf. YUK! What a health hazard!

I pick up trash on the beach and pay my taxes. Schools and libraries are so nice there. Not everyone is rich or has an easy high paying job. Try fighting the daily life, expense, and traffic in a city. That is the reason many move to the area. I am sad to say I have noticed people in the business area become more RUDE lately. I am nice to others and do not find it difficult. Most coastal towns are expensive. There is a price for paradise.
Of course, there are wonderful folks there too. Like my 80yr old neighbors who seem like family and the time I had the pleasure of meeting John Fonville and hearing wonderful stories about the area. I also had the pleasure of speaking with Dr. Kennedy who has owned a lot of gulf front property in Seagrove. He said, "Yeah people use your land for years, walk across it and then when you sell it they get mad at you."
 
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like an embittered cranky local. It's just that I'm an embittered cranky local.
 
Camp Creek Kid says: "What about the small business owners, teachers, contractors, fire fighters, architects, doctors, realtors (thats for S.J.). Without tourists--people who come to our community to spend their money--none of us would have jobs. I know many, many families who are already struggling to get by with the slow-down of the real estate market. These are not wealthy people, but regular middle class families who have made their homes here and don't want to leave but may have to."

Hmmm, well, since you put it that way, a population reduction would be great. Then we wouldn't need contractors, real estate agents, fire fighters or teachers.
Eventually it would just be forty or fifty of us and we'd have it all to ourselves.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top