• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Ziploc Omelets

New posts
Smiling JOe said:
Is there an advantage, health wise, for cooking like this instead of using the traditional method for whipping up an omelet? Also, what about the disadvantages of toxins released from heated plastics?

Somehow I knew you were going to rain on my parade, and when I saw you had posted in this thread, I knew exactly what you were going to say. This is scary!
 
Kathy, I like that you are able to cook multiple omelets simultaneously using this method. That is a huge plus. If you could find a way to cook pancakes this way, it would probably catch on, too. As we find more and more foods being overly processed these days, I am searching for better ways of preparing foods, and trying to eat less processed stuff. I know the convenience factor outweighs the health benefits for most people, but I have been there, and don't like it. Give me food that taste like real food over convenience anyday. One of the things I like about living here is that I have extremely limited convenience foods available, so I cook more often, and usually a little healthier, too, not to mention a huge price difference.

I was really hoping you would be able to tell me that this cooking method is a healthier version than the traditional method. I don't use butter in my omelets and try not to have more than one yolk if any, so that I don't blow a gasket. ;-)
 
I wasn't so much worried about the plastic toxins from the baggie as whether the plastic would impart an aftertaste. But on the other hand, surely the plastic wouldn't be harmful, or how would those plastic baking bags work??:idontno:
 
I figure if you drink a few mimosas or bloody Mary's with the omelet, the alcohol will counteract the toxins from the plastic.:funn:

Actually, aren't there baggies that are safe for microwaving or boiling?:idontno: I
 
Beach Runner said:
I have a sEGGestion:

After the omelet firms up, throw the omelet (without the baggie, of course) into a skillet with olive oil for a few secs to brown it off and get that crunchy (as opposed to wet) taste that great omelets have.

Great recipe. I'm trying it!
But if you feel the need to throw the omelet into a skillet with olive oil, it sort of defeats the whole cook-several-omelets-all-at-the-same-time purpose.
Beach Runner, you are probably like my husband, you like your eggs well done instead of gooky.
I like my eggs gooky and I like them with their yolks and I liked them cooked in Organic Valley *real* butter.
Kathydwells, too bad we never go camping anymore, your recipe would be great for that! I still might try it, simply for the fun of it. :)
 
COOL!

Do we think it would work the same way with egg whites?
 
Smiling JOe said:
Kathy, I like that you are able to cook multiple omelets simultaneously using this method. That is a huge plus. If you could find a way to cook pancakes this way, it would probably catch on, too. As we find more and more foods being overly processed these days, I am searching for better ways of preparing foods, and trying to eat less processed stuff. I know the convenience factor outweighs the health benefits for most people, but I have been there, and don't like it. Give me food that taste like real food over convenience anyday. One of the things I like about living here is that I have extremely limited convenience foods available, so I cook more often, and usually a little healthier, too, not to mention a huge price difference.

I was really hoping you would be able to tell me that this cooking method is a healthier version than the traditional method. I don't use butter in my omelets and try not to have more than one yolk if any, so that I don't blow a gasket. ;-)

I am with you on the overly processed foods. I really try to avoid them, and have for several months now. I was thinking that this is much healthier than say putting the baggy in the microwave and cooking the omelets. I think by boiling them it should be OK. I do think this healthier than throwing them in a pan with butter or oil. However, I think I might try to melt just a little real butter and throw that in with the eggs and stuff, just for a little flavor. Not much, maybe a teaspoon or so. Kimmi and SJ, I think it would work with just the egg whites also. Let's all try them and see how they come out!!!!
 
Beach Runner said:
I figure if you drink a few mimosas or bloody Mary's with the omelet, the alcohol will counteract the toxins from the plastic.:funn:


My kind of brunch. You can dine with me any time. :biggrin:
 
Mermaid said:
My kind of brunch. You can dine with me any time. :biggrin:

And I will join both of you!!!! :biggrin:
 
Cil said:
But if you feel the need to throw the omelet into a skillet with olive oil, it sort of defeats the whole cook-several-omelets-all-at-the-same-time purpose.
Beach Runner, you are probably like my husband, you like your eggs well done instead of gooky.
I like my eggs gooky and I like them with their yolks and I liked them cooked in Organic Valley *real* butter.
Kathydwells, too bad we never go camping anymore, your recipe would be great for that! I still might try it, simply for the fun of it. :)
Nah, I like my omelets soft on the inside and hard on the outside. Kinda like French bread in NOLA.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top