• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

331 Freeport Bypass Jan 23!!!

New posts
I would bet almost every business on the bypassed route in Freeport will suffer. It's not just tourists who stop at the businesses. The cafes, Kelly's, Mexican Restaurant, even the tire store. Outa site outta mind for locals and commuters. Many thousands who will never see those places again.

What was the reason for the bypass being built at this time? Seems to me there are much more drastic needs in Walton County road system...and the short run through Freeport did not seem to be the place where traffic bogged down...Just wondering:idontno:
 
Kurt, I think you are right about that, but only in the future. Until new stores pop up along that new stretch of road, the Freeporters and commuters know what there options are, and currently, there are not alternatives. However, that will change quickly. I wouldn't be surprised to see Publix and Home Depot pop up along that new stretch in the next 3-7 years.
 
Goodwitch, Hurricane Evacuation is the reason. If you think that traffic didn't back up on that old stretch, you must have never driven that stretch on a Sat morning in the season. I've seen bumper to bumper traffic from the Shell station all the way to the BP station, which is at least one mile, on their way to the beach.

The other reason is future four-laning for the evacuation.
 
I wouldn't be surprised to see Publix and Home Depot pop up along that new stretch in the next 3-7 years.

The bypass is a beautiful stretch of land right now and will be a pleasant twice daily drive compared to going through "town" - but that probably won't last too long.
 
The reason that many businesses in Freeport fought so hard for many years against a bypass was the tourist traffic. However, Freeport has grown to the point that most of the businesses are sustained by locals. Locals will still look for the post office, Franks Cash & Carry, the beauty salon, etc. I think that Kelley's probably lost a lot of the beach traffic after Publix opened down here, but that's just a hunch.
 
The reason that many businesses in Freeport fought so hard for many years against a bypass was the tourist traffic. However, Freeport has grown to the point that most of the businesses are sustained by locals. Locals will still look for the post office, Franks Cash & Carry, the beauty salon, etc. I think that Kelley's probably lost a lot of the beach traffic after Publix opened down here, but that's just a hunch.

I think Kelley's lost a lot of business cause :wub:Publix:wub: was a much better alternative. Of course I am somewhat biased when it comes to :wub:Publix:wub:
 
I think Kelley's lost a lot of business cause :wub:Publix:wub: was a much better alternative. Of course I am somewhat biased when it comes to :wub:Publix:wub:

I went into Kelley's once to buy a toothbrush. It scared me... :eek:
 
We shopped at Kelley's regularly when we lived in Freeport (had to). It used to be the best place around for meat and hand-cut steaks.

We did, however, stop buying produce after the evening Fuzz spotted the bug foggers going off without the produce being covered. :blink:

It's been about five years since I've been in there. Has it deteriorated that much?
 
We shopped at Kelley's regularly when we lived in Freeport (had to). It used to be the best place around for meat and hand-cut steaks.

We did, however, stop buying produce after the evening Fuzz spotted the bug foggers going off without the produce being covered. :blink:

It's been about five years since I've been in there. Has it deteriorated that much?

Oh yes, I remember SJ's tirade in another thread about it. :lol: I've been in once and felt like I was in the ghetto. I understand older grocery stores may not have the visual appeal that many newer ones do, but overall the cleanliness left much to be desired and nothing looked fresh or if it had been fresh it was it was quite some time ago.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top