• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

ABC News Article Concering Beach Erosion

New posts
BeachDreamer said:
The greedy part is not that they want to preserve their property. It's being so worried about others possibly having access to it, that they refuse to allow the preservation in the first place. :confused:

Right. Their argument against the restoration is based upon their view that the gulf-front property owner has the absolute right to prevent anyone on "their" beach, no matter where the mean high water line is. That is simply incorrect.

I am not a big fan of renourishment (jury's still out), but their rationale smacks of arrogance. What's odd is that beach renourishment will increase the owner's beach, the way I understand it. So, public funds are being used to give gulffront owners more property. I do not understand why some gulf-front owners feel that they should get all the benefits of gulf-front ownership, but not have to bear any of the burdens of gulf-front ownership, which rather should be borne by the taxpayer. I admire the dissenters because at lteast they are consistent--they accept they have the benefits and the burdens.

And, yes, I can afford gulf-front property.
 
Travel2Much said:
Right. Their argument against the restoration is based upon their view that the gulf-front property owner has the absolute right to prevent anyone on "their" beach, no matter where the mean high water line is.
--snip--
So, public funds are being used to give gulffront owners more property. I do not understand why some gulf-front owners feel that they should get all the benefits of gulf-front ownership, but not have to bear any of the burdens of gulf-front ownership, which rather should be borne by the taxpayer.
More than a few analogs to this - outside the beachfront context. I "own" the property on which my home resides out to the street, yet I don't truly "own" from a few feet back from the sidewalk out to the curb. Anybody can walk on the sidewalk, but I have to mow the grass, either pay for or directly repair the sidewalk and/or curbs, and it all has to be maintained in conformance with various locally established standards. My financial exposure is context relative - expensive neighborhood, higher and/or more complex standards, cheap neighborhood, the reverse.
 
Last edited:
If it was just the holdouts own homes and businesses that would be affected, then let them refuse. But with how close all the homes and condos are to each other, the holdouts are hurting a lot of other beachfront landowners who do want and need renourishment. It's not like you can just pick and chose which 50-75' lots are going to get the sand. It's all or nothing for half mile to several mile stretches of beach.

There are a lot of beach owners who are very pro-renourishment because they feel the additional sand is desperately needed in order to preserve their homes and rental properties, and are extremely angry that the holdouts dragged out the case long enough that Ivan, Arlene and Dennis came through and did more damage than they would have done with a better bermed and renourished beach.
 
Exactly. Many land owners deal with this in one form or another. We deal with it twice. Our land legally extends into the middle of our road, but we can't "claim" or control the road or ditches. The public has access to it. Our land also includes a gas pipeline, and while it's our land and we must pay taxes and upkeep on it, we aren't allowed to close it off to pipe workers, fence it in, or build anything on it. It's just part of owning land.

OhioBeachBum said:
More than a few analogs to this - outside the beachfront context. I "own" the property on which my home resides out to the street, yet I don't truly "own" from a few feet back from the sidewalk out to the curb. Anybody can walk on the sidewalk, but I have to mow the grass, either pay for or directly repair the sidewalk and/or curbs, and it all has to be maintained in conformance with various locally established standards. My financial exposure is context relative - expensive neighborhood, higher and/or more complex standards, cheap neighborhood, the reverse.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top