• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

An Outsider's Perspective

New posts

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Hi All,

I have enjoyed reading the postings here...

I am from the midwest and as long as nothing goes wrong I will be closing on a house in Santa Rosa Beach at the end of January. This will be my family's primary residence...

I have been a long time fan of Southern CA. It is/was my dream to live on or within walking distance of the beach in a community like Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach. But for what I want out there it would cost me $1-2 Million for near the beach and $4-8 Million for on the beach...

Recognizing that we were no where near being able to afford SoCal we started looking for properties near the beach all over the US. I can honestly say that I have been everywhere and nothing touches what you can get in SoWal...

When I first visited SoWal I quickly realized that there are aspects of SoWal that are far better than even my beloved SoCal. For example, the beaches are prettier, the water is warmer, you can bring your dog to the beach, you can drink a beer/glass of wine, you can drive on the beach in areas like Grayton AND BEST OF ALL-

The rest of the world has not yet figured out how amazing it is here yet so I can actually afford a brand new place only 750 feet from the water for what a "2 on a lot" (this means it is literally built in someone else's backyard) would cost me in CA that is a mile away from the water...

I am only an amateur real estate investor dabbling in multi-family properties in the midwest. But one thing I believe is that when everyone is scared to death and doing irrational things you should take advantage and buy and when everyone else is buying and prices inflate you should sell...

So for selfish reasons, I appreciate the dip in the market because without it we wouldn't be able to get in now. But rest assured, folks, the 30A area will stablize and escalate in value. Take that from an outsider like myself who realizes what you have here. People are paying a lot more for a lot less all over the country. It's only a matter of time before other outsiders like myself discover this. And with all the Press the area has been getting lately this might very well be sooner than later...

And let's say I am way off and it doesn't happen in our lifetime. If I live in Santa Rosa, I don't really care. Smell the roses, people...

Cheers and I look forward to being your neighbor!

George Wickey
 
:welcome: Aboard. Happy SoWal living!
 
Welcome to Paradise...you are the kind of newcomer we locals want! You want to be here, and you appreciate the magic of this wonderful place.
glad it worked out for you.
 
geowickey....:wub:

:welcome: ...you are gonna' fit in great! Do you like to dance? :biggrin:
 
Welcome Geowickey. :welcome: We're also from the Midwest, got a place SoWal in 2003 for the same reasons you did (but it's a second home to us), and we still love it and are still breathing the fresh air whenever we're there (and dreaming about it when we're not in SoWal). In fact, we enjoy it more and more as we get to know more people and places and start feeling like we are part of the SoWal community -- the SoWal community, I believe, is as precious as the beauty of the area. So, we have no regrets at all other than we wish we could spend more time in SoWal. :wub: But that day will come.
 
:welcome: All of our friends raved about SoWal while we went to Bermuda, Sea Island, Maui. Then we gave it a chance. We've been hooked ever since and have been property owners here since 2001.
 
Welcome to, as one of the local radio stations likes to say, "where thousands live and millions more wish they could".
 
Welcome to, as one of the local radio stations likes to say, "where thousands live and millions more wish they could".


:clap_1: :clap_1: Truer words have never been spoken!

:welcome:
 
I guess you're not an outsider anymore. The entire community could use more folks like you. Now, about Mark McGuire.......
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top