• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Another terrible accident

New posts
I always look both ways before I cross an intersection even if I have a green light or someone else has a stop sign. There's one particular intersection in town where at least once a week I see someone run the stop sign. So I always come to virtually a complete stop there even though I have the right-of-way. I've saved my life countless times doing this just at this one intersection.

The 395/98 intersection *is* really scary. I thought the traffic light would solve the problem, but I guess when people are driving so fast on 98 that they can't stop when the light turns red, accidents will happen.:eek:
 
Mermaid said:
It makes me sad and furious, too, to hear about accidents like this. My daughter and I had an experience on Wednesday that was just like Paige's, which is horribly unnerving, and only goes to show all states have problems with intersections.

Aren't there any traffic signs out there that say something to the effect that drivers are approaching a dangerous intersection and they should exercise caution? Something needs to be done because the traffic lights alone at 395/98 aren't doing it.

The warning signs are still there. DOT *wanted* to pull them up, but they are still there.
 
Before the lights were installed, I was telling you guys that they would not prevent people from breaking the laws of the road and getting into accidents. Almost daily, I get into a turning battle at one of those two intersections. It seems that people don't know to yield to oncoming traffic before turning. I still want to see turn lights for the north and south traffic. However, the worse accidents will be from the speeders running the red lights. The speed limit is 45 mph on Hwy 98 at those two intersections, but people usually speed along at 60+ mph, without a care in the world as they chat away on their cell phone. Green light doesn't mean go. Green light means wait, look left, right, and left again, before proceeding, and remember to yield to oncoming traffic before turning. I also ride a motorcycle and a bicycle, so I am usually very aware of my surrounding on the road. Be careful out there. The Sharks and Hurricanes are nothing compared to other drivers.
 
ShallowsNole said:
The warning signs are still there. DOT *wanted* to pull them up, but they are still there.

That's even worse news, to know that not only are there lights but warning signs and still people are dying and being injured at that intersection. I'm going to start using other routes to approach 30-A because I don't want to see my loved ones or me joining these tragic statistics.
 
I don't know the technical name for these things. They can put those cuts in the pavement that cause your car to vibrate as you go over them. A bit annoying, but if those were on the Hwy as you approached the intersection perhaps it would cause people to slow down. Just a thought.
 
Cheering472 said:
I don't know the technical name for these things. They can put those cuts in the pavement that cause your car to vibrate as you go over them. A bit annoying, but if those were on the Hwy as you approached the intersection perhaps it would cause people to slow down. Just a thought.
Good idea, and it leads me to my next comical thought, but I would seriously be for it. I wonder if we could get the DOT to install the tire-puncture thingies that pop up when the light turns red? :idontno: You know the thingies you see at the entrance in parking decks sometimes. Probably wouldn't fly, but a man can dream can't he?;-)
 
I wonder if delayed signal lights would work? We have several in Indianapolis. The one I know best is in front of a high school. The westbound lane moves forward and takes left turns while all other lanes wait. Then the eastbound lane gets its green light and it travels at the same time as the westbound. I don't know exactly why this is done, but I know it gets drivers used to the fact that there are times when only one lane might be moving on a green, as opposed to the customary two, and therefore you have to be extra prepared to stop. It causes you to slow down approaching the intersection even when you see cars moving in the lane that's parallel to yours from the opposite direction.
 
Smiling JOe said:
Good idea, and it leads me to my next comical thought, but I would seriously be for it. I wonder if we could get the DOT to install the tire-puncture thingies that pop up when the light turns red? :idontno: You know the thingies you see at the entrance in parking decks sometimes. Probably wouldn't fly, but a man can dream can't he?;-)

THAT would slow people down for sure!
 
Rumble Strips.

My simple SoWal rule which I forget sometimes:
A green light is permission to look both ways.

I saw the aftermath and it was chilling. I have narrowly avoided death on 98 more than once.
 
Paige said:
I had a near death experience last week while at the 98/395 intersection. I was at the light on 395 just starting to turn west onto 98 when I heard a LOUD horn blaring coming from the right. I turn and look. A Coca-Cola truck comes flying through the intersection probably 5 to 10 seconds after his light had turned red. The truck never even slowed. It would have killed my whole family if he had been a few seconds later.

I would be FURIOUS:bang: and tracking down the local Coca Cola Distributor! Granted it would be difficult, but knowing the time & location of truck, will help. Worse case scenerio, a serious memo goes out to all drivers! Idiots!

I always try to be alert, at everything going on around me, for this reason! I've also tried to instill that it my sons, too. Though they are good drivers, there are others out there, that drive horribly and take too many chances!:eek:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top