greenroomsurfer
Beach Fanatic
Here is another video for the non-believers. http://www.cccturtle.org/higherground.php
beacheart, help me understand how adding more sand to extend the beach helps a gulf front homeowner. I don't see how. With a decent size storm, like any of the ones which hit us in 2004-2005, the beach would be covered with sweeping water, hitting at the dunes or seawalls. A large storm will still remove that additional sand used to widen the beach, in my opinion. Do you see that differently?
Nice graphic, but in the last 5 years, I've seen tropical storms and hurricanes of less than Category 3 take out the entire area you've identified as new "finish grade."
Just my Sacajawea! ;-)
I appreciate the additional info, BeachSi02. I believe I understand the process. What I have witnessed first-hand from the 2004-2005 storms, which didn't actually directly hit this area, was a massive east/west push. It wasn't the wave action that hurt SoWal as much as it was the westerly push. That alone seemed to remove the sand from the beach and the base of the dunes. After that sand was removed, the waves were hitting, but only at the foot of the dunes. It was the westerly push, not the waves, which seemed to dismantle the beach walkovers from my observations. This push continued for more than 12 hours during each storm, and remember, we didn't even get hit by the storms.
What next? So we get hit a direct hit with a Cat 3 Hurricane, all the added sand is now removed. Fema steps in and pays for the redo, and we continue to fight a never ending battle against mother nature. Why don't we take notes from mother nature, and work around her? What's wrong with that idea? It has been stated on here that the beach nourishment is beneficial to everyone. I fail to see that. The dune systems will sluff, and smaller storms will push more sand on shore, replacing the sand on the beach. It just won't be immediately, but we know that all good things take time. We people tend to want to place things, pets, and people in a no-grow box, as soon as they get perfect. We think that our lives will be perfect when we do this, this, this, but the truth is, life is already perfect -- We just clutter it with layers hiding the perfection.
I understand that it is a lot of sand, but mother nature can move it in one swift swoop, while it may take us the entire summer to move it with heavy yellow equipment.
Can you explain how the rare Coastal Dune Lakes of Walton County will be affected by adding both elevation and width to the beach? Seems to me that doing such would likely cut off the lakes from the Gulf completely, unless we have a major hurricane.
With as much as the wind seems to blow from the east, pushing sand around, I'm curious to know how far outside of the lakes are the set backs. We saw what happened with Easter Lake when sand was placed east of the outflow.
I do agree that storm surge from a direct storm hit will likely affect more inland owners than Gulf front owners, which is why I don't see why so much money is being spent on the beach, which is ever-changing.
It is good to have a specialist, like you, to explain some of this nourishment process, in plain language. Thanks.