• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Beach Safety

New posts
In Colorado, at the hiking/cycling trail heads, they have signs that say, in effect, "if we have to come rescue you, we will charge you the cost of the rescue". It's a sober reminder of the dangers in nature and the very real cost of trained rescue personnel and equipment.

the best part of that is, if you purchase a fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, or boating license, you're covered for the rescue portion from SAR.
 
If a lifeguard rescues me from the water I will pay him or her a gozillion dollars.

Who do I make the check out to?
 
If a lifeguard rescues me from the water I will pay him or her a gozillion dollars.

Who do I make the check out to?

I'm right there with ya, Kurt!

Anytime you go into the Gulf here there is a risk of being caught in a rip current. Conditions can change rapidly, before they have a chance to change all the flags. If someone goes into the water in red or double red flag conditions and get caught in a rip current, they should be fined IMO. But what about those that get caught in a rip current when it's a yellow flags?
 
IMO red flag or double red flag = big fine!

You don't have to charge the folks just the price to fish them out - you can also add in the costs of regular patrols, yet more signs, and a whopping dumbarse surcharge!

Sowal has a long history of surcharges and added fees that people have been paying for years, so a "save your dumb arse" surcharge should fit right in! :biggrin:
 
I'm not following the logic behind charging people fines for going into the water under red flag conditions, since it isn't illegal to swim under red flag conditions. Double Red Flags do equated to fine/ticket when the POlice sees you. I've watched them write a few tickets in Blue Mtn Beach. Are you suggesting the big fines when someone has to be rescued? On the surface, it sounds interesting. However, in reality, it may cause people to do even more stupid things, like wave off rescuers if they know the cost will be $10,000. They may try to swim it out. I think back to a recent story of two backcountry hikers who recently got lost out west, maybe CO, I cannot recall. Even though they had a cell phone and they didn't know the way out, or conditions didn't allow them to leave, and they had ran out of food after day two, they didn't call for rescue until four days into the ordeal. They supposedly had good backcountry skills/abilities, and though it was never mentioned, I wonder if cost of rescue, kept them from calling for help sooner.
 
Red flag means "high hazard". People are held monetarily responsible for actions that are not illegal all of the time, so I have no problems w/ charging them for a red flag. There is no valid reason for a tourist w/ poor swimming ability to be in the water during a red flag.

As far as declining an expensive rescue it's a win/win IMO! Either the community gets reimbursed for all of the time and $ we spend on these idiots or they remove themselves from the gene pool because they are so stupid they would rather die than pay a big bill. :wave:

The hikers you mentioned are morons who obviously did NOT have good high country skills/abilities if the scenario is as you described it. It takes a whole lot of stupid to first get yourself into the situation described and then not use the easiest way to get yourself out of it. :bang:
 
Red flag means "high hazard". People are held monetarily responsible for actions that are not illegal all of the time, so I have no problems w/ charging them for a red flag. There is no valid reason for a tourist w/ poor swimming ability to be in the water during a red flag.

As far as declining an expensive rescue it's a win/win IMO! Either the community gets reimbursed for all of the time and $ we spend on these idiots or they remove themselves from the gene pool because they are so stupid they would rather die than pay a big bill. :wave:

The hikers you mentioned are morons who obviously did NOT have good high country skills/abilities if the scenario is as you described it. It takes a whole lot of stupid to first get yourself into the situation described and then not use the easiest way to get yourself out of it. :bang:

:clap: Tell us how you REALLY feel, SB! I agree with you on every point.
 
Sorry, I've just reached my limit on the dumbing down/victim mentality of America! :blush:

At some point we have to draw the line and make people take responsibility for their actions and choices instead of coddling them. That's all I'm asking! :wave:
 
SN, we have to maintain our male superiority some way. (Where's the "smiley" icon.)
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top