• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

best directions from I-65?

New posts

RunningMomof3

Beach Comber
We are getting ready to leave on Friday for our annual sowal vacation. Can't wait :D For the past few years we have been taking 65 and then getting off in Georgiana and taking 55 and had planned to do so again this year. Is that still the best way? One of my friends is getting ready to come down there in a couple of weeks and her trip-tik from AAA takes her down 65 then when she hits Montgomery it takes her over (via 231 possiblye??) to Dothan and then down through PCB. That seems like it is so far out of the way. It says it is about 40 miles farther but it also says it is actually a little bit shorter timewise when comparing that to mapquest. Sooo....my big question is do I stick with getting off in Georgiana. We used to take 331 out of Montgomery and i know they supposedly improved that way. Which is best? thanks so much!
 
If you are going through Montgomery, get on 331 and stay on it all the way to South Walton. Don't bother going east to Dothan, only to go back west to SoWal.
 
There are several threads in the past dealing with this, and I'm not the expert, but I would not go through Dothan if you are trying to get here (unless you are coming from Atlanta on 431 south, kind of unavoidable then), as you HAVE to either go through downtown or around Ross Clark Circle to get back to 231 South...and then taking 231 into Panama City puts you waaaaay east dealing with traffic again. I love Dothan and I love Panama City as destinations, not as something I have to deal with traffic in after driving for a long time.

I know there are folks on here who take 231 to Troy and then work their way down through Elba and Samson and then Hwy 83 to DeFuniak after crossing the state line.

Georgiana is a good way, if you are on I-65 already.
 
The Georgiana way is my preferred route from 65. I think that is way out of the way to get off and go 231 - through Troy and Dothan, then PC.

I do Georgiana, Andalusia and Florala - then, 331 the rest of the way down.

331 may have inproved but I haven't driven down that way since 2004 when we were coming home from Ivan.

Hope you have a good trip!
 
The Georgiana way is my preferred route from 65. I think that is way out of the way to get off and go 231 - through Troy and Dothan, then PC.

I do Georgiana, Andalusia and Florala - then, 331 the rest of the way down.

331 may have inproved but I haven't driven down that way since 2004 when we were coming home from Ivan.

Hope you have a good trip!

Ditto. Take the Georgiana Route. Have Funn!
 
If you are going through Montgomery, get on 331 and stay on it all the way to South Walton. Don't bother going east to Dothan, only to go back west to SoWal.
:wave:I agree with Smiley Joe. We have been three different ways, and 331 from Montgomery is our favorite. Going thrugh Georgianna is a longer route and I am always for shorter driving distance.
 
I definitely agree with not going through Dothan. Yeah, you may make up a little time outside of town, but Ross Clark Circle has been a stop and go nightmare when we've had to deal with it.
 
We live in SoWal and used to take the Georgianna route. Lately, we've been taking 331 to/from Montgomery and we like that better and it is much shorter. It is 3 hours from SoWal to Montgomery on 331. However, if you will be traveling down here to arrive on a Saturday afternoon, or leaving here on a Saturday morning, traffic will be heavy and it might be better to go the Georgianna route.
 
Where are you coming from?

I am coming from Indianapolis. My friend who got the trip tik for her trip is coming from Milwaukee and will travel down 65 out of Chicago. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything going on with the roads (331 or 55) to cause AAA to take her through Dothan.

So 331 from Montgomery is less distance than 55???? We have really liked taking 55 but haven't been on 331 out of Montgomery since construction was completed on it...at least I think there was some.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top