• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Best Gumbo Recipes

New posts

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
My next cooking project is to learn how to make gumbo (like NOLA's Gumbo Shop & Wentzels/Mobile).
Need tips & recipes from all you chefs out there!
Thanks! :wave:
 
Check out www.nolacuisine.com recipes, pictures, commentary. I'm getting chills just thinking about it. Recipe links are on the right column down a bit. I have been inspired to make my own tasso and andouille..after I build a smoker (may take a while :D). There are a couple different gumbos the darker roux one being more classic I guess, though I prefer the gumbos from the brick roux. Plus I think there is a gumbo z'herbes there as well..all greens. I haven't tried it yet but it will happen soon it looks great. Good luck! Maybe experiment and use duck fat for the roux. Now I can't go to work today, I am off to the store.
 
Last edited:
I'm sure you'll get lots of good recipes, but I want the one for the "BOIL" you did at your house last summer. And while you're at it, can you send me the one for the summer beer. I know it's winter, but I'm a planner! :biggrin:
Sorry to hijack..
 
I'm sure you'll get lots of good recipes, but I want the one for the "BOIL" you did at your house last summer. And while you're at it, can you send me the one for the summer beer. I know it's winter, but I'm a planner! :biggrin:
Sorry to hijack..

That was yummy!!! spill it Dun ah!!!:biggrin:
 
I'm sure you'll get lots of good recipes, but I want the one for the "BOIL" you did at your house last summer. And while you're at it, can you send me the one for the summer beer. I know it's winter, but I'm a planner! :biggrin:
Sorry to hijack..

:wave: I'd like the one for summer beer too! That was very tasty. It's never to early to start planning!
 
Gumbo! :D. We love Gumbo! Here are some pix of us cooking up a roux for a seafood gumbo a few year's ago. http://sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=1082&highlight=gumbo+riley. We prefer the dark roux for gumbos and the lighter roux for shrimp or crab etoufee. The best recipes for gumbo I have seen are in Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen.

When we want to do a gumbo in a hurry, without making roux from scratch, we've tried a few packaged products. For years, we've liked Bayou Magic's products www.bayoumagic.com/, but recently the gumbo base has become too salty for our tastes. Tonite we tried a new product, Cajun C.J.s http://http://www.cajuncjs.com/ and it was GREAT! :DA dark roux, seasoned well. This was for a chicken and andouille gumbo.

In SoWal, I believe Shrimper's has frozen andouille (maybe tasso,too) and I think Destin Ice might have andouillie as well.
 
Last edited:
Gumbo! :D. We love Gumbo! Here are some pix of us cooking up a roux for a seafood gumbo a few year's ago. http://sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=1082&highlight=gumbo+riley. We prefer the dark roux for gumbos and the lighter roux for shrimp or crab etoufee.

When we want to do a gumbo in a hurry, without making roux from scratch, we've tried a few packaged products. For years, we've liked Bayou Magic's products www.bayoumagic.com/, but recently the gumbo base has become too salty for our tastes. Tonite we tried a new product, Cajun C.J.s http://http://www.cajuncjs.com/ and it was GREAT! :DA dark roux, seasoned well. This was for a chicken and andouille gumbo.

In SoWal, I believe Shrimper's has frozen andouille (maybe tasso,too) and I think Destin Ice might have andouillie as well.

IWIWT and I luuuuuuuuv us some tasso!!:wub:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top