• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Best Gumbo Recipes

New posts
Interesting talk about roux. I've had some formal cooking classes at CIA Hyde Park, NY, and we talked about the correct way to add roux, but I forgot and just wing it now. I do remember one time when I added some water to the roux, hoping to add that mixture to the soup, but that was not good. It was lumpy and I had to throw it out and make a new roux to thicken my soup. After that experience, I just add in small portions of the roux (usually warm, but not hot) to the entire batch of soup, and it dissolves very nicely.

As for measurements for roux, I just throw some fat or oil into the pan, and add flour slowly, until I get the consistency for which I'm looking. I learned that from my grandma.

The slow cooking is the only way to make a good roux. I usually heat the pan over medium heat to start, but after i stir in some flour, and the heat is up, I adjust the heat to low, and cook. Always make starting the roux the first thing you do. It will have plenty of time to cook while you peel shrimp, chop veggies, make stock, cook soup.
Ran across this at egullet:
The Professional Chef 8th edition states, "Roux can be combined with liquid in three ways. Cool roux may be added to hot liquid, cool liquid may be added to hot roux, or warm roux may be added to liquid of the sauce temperature."
 
Ahhh...But was last night's gumbo one of his "sometimes in the microwave" versions???


Didn't have gumbo. Had beef tenderloin, an artichoke/seafood casserole, a corn pudding thingie, a whole bunch of appetizers,and deserets out the yang yang: Pecan bars, black botom pie, pralines, fudge, ches bars, little chocolate mousse in chocolate cups, etc.:wub:

There was a lot of wine too.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top