• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Calling The Bottom

New posts
"
I also wonder how much longer service industry workers will be able to swing a daily trip from Defuniak, Freeport, Niceville, Crestview and Panama City into SOWAL without a substantial raise. Of course the raise would have to be recouped from the tourists who may be going 'on the cheap' if they elect to visit in the first place. That is a mighty slippery slope...[/QUOTE]"

Unfortunately some businesses may not be able to push that rope, if people are going to eat more meals in their condo as a result of costs being passed on.. My point is that those increased labor costs may just as easily be "recouped" by businesses, in the form of lost profits, or worse.

no more doom and gloom, its time to put a lime in the gin and take in the view. SoWal will be a truly great place to ride out the supposedly coming 2nd great depression.
 
I don't think it is fewer tourists on 98 between Miramar Beach and Navarre that is making the traffic lighter. I think it is fewer overweight trucks that can't be on the cracked bridge in Destin. I've driven to Pensacola from SoWal a few times the last few months and it has been quite nice without the extra truck traffic. I did say a prayer before I crossed over the bridge next to Emerald Grand by Bos.
 
I don't think it is fewer tourists on 98 between Miramar Beach and Navarre that is making the traffic lighter. I think it is fewer overweight trucks that can't be on the cracked bridge in Destin. I've driven to Pensacola from SoWal a few times the last few months and it has been quite nice without the extra truck traffic. I did say a prayer before I crossed over the bridge next to Emerald Grand by Bos.

Which bridge is cracked?

BTW, Goldman Sachs has forecasted $200/barrel oil which should translate into $6.00 - $7.00/gallon gasoline.
 
I believe, in the short term, we will become less wasteful of crude like the Europeans. I suspect the internal combustion engine may be modified to combust something more easily obtainable, and if it takes 5 dollar gas to accelerate our overdue technological adjustment, in the words of the Dummy-in-Chief, "bring it on".

Absolutely my thoughts exactly--I am all for getting gas to $5 a gallon--RIGHT NOW--it will speed up America's current non-commitment to the conservation of crude!
 
Last edited:
You can Google "Cracked Destin Bridge" and get lots of stories on Marler Bridge being cracked especially in archives of Northwest Florida Daily News.
For example on April 25, 2008 Robbyn Brooks stated
The Florida Department of Transportation says Destin?s ?structurally deficient? Marler Bridge should be repaired by next June.
 
Am I seeing things, or is the Walton County appraiser listing zero sales for April? I did a quick off the cuff itemization of total sales over the last three years from their sales lists - it doesn't look good.

waltonctyqualifiedsales.jpg

March stats are now updated on the Walton County website and April stats are now available too.
 
waltonsales.jpg


Updated! The blue sections are estimated values based on the number of missing sales at the end of April. So for example, only 21% of March sales were listed in the database at the end of April. So it's reasonable to assume only 21% of April sales are listed in May. I took that back three months. The listing accuracy was:

1 month - 21% of sales represented
2 months - 71% of sales represented
3 months - 94% of sales represented
4 months - 99% of sales represented

I re-counted the sales numbers back to September.
 
So you will be needing to buy some farmland? You might want to try the better soils in lower AL and GA, but watch out for the drought and price of diesel fuel.

I have some Good acerage if you need it.With the cost of fresh vegies it makes sence to have a few acres with a pond on it. With Eric living next door you can have (Fish and Chips). That was bad, I know it.

seer
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top