• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Canoeing

New posts
ladydebubba60 said:
:blink: I know you guys might be tired of a nonresident being on the forum sight but it is how I find out where the best places are for doing the things we like to do like canoeing. This sight is nice and informative! Kurt, is the Blackwater perfect for the beginner like us? Seeing as we have only canoed once we are looking for the easiest to handle until we get good at it. That might be a while, hee hee! There are wonderful canoeing places here in Tennessee at Linden and Waverly, Tennessee near Nashville which is around 200 miles from here. You would have to make a weekend trip out of that one. It is just that they close down at the end of October for the winter.

Ldb60, have you tried kayaking yet? It is my new favorite sport and easy to do in SoWal. :D
 
Santiago said:
I canoed the Blackwater when in my teens, about 25 years ago but do remember it as shallow with deep pockets along the way and plenty of sandbars for picnicing.

Santiago, glad to see you posting again. I know you got frustrated in the real estate forum (me too!!!) but so glad to see you contibuting again!!!! :clap_1:
 
Gypsea said:
Santiago, glad to see you posting again. I know you got frustrated in the real estate forum (me too!!!) but so glad to see you contibuting again!!!! :clap_1:
Thanks. I think I may stay over here for awhile where everyone seems to agree more.
 
jdarg said:
We have wanted to go to the Blackwater- but it always seems to be too hot in July/ August to do anything but float in the lake like a bunch of hot hippos. Wonder if June would be better. Also, what is the biting bug situation on the creeks and rivers? And are the canoing places open in winter, like at Christmas?
Canoeing around here in July and August can get very hot, but that is when you jump in and swim with the alligators for a while. You will quickly forget all about the heat when your foot touches the bottom. :shock:
 
Smiling JOe said:
Canoeing around here in July and August can get very hot, but that is when you jump in and swim with the alligators for a while. You will quickly forget all about the heat when your foot touches the bottom. :shock:

When my foot touches the bottom and hits what- a gator's tail??:creepy: :creepy:
 
jdarg said:
When my foot touches the bottom and hits what- a gator's tail??:creepy: :creepy:
I grew up waterskiing and swimming in a lake filled with gators, so I cant say that they scare me too much, but when I would be out in the lake and I touched the somewhat algae covered bottom, I would freak out and quickly pull my feet up. :funn:I am such a wuss about little things sometimes. The interesting thing that I have learned is that I am not alone in the uncomfortable feeling I get when the foot hits the bottom of the murky water.

I understand that many of the springs and rivers are crystal clear, so I would have no problem with them when my feet touched the bottom, unless of course I were standing on a gator.:shock:
 
Gypsea, my husband and I have not tried kayaking but there were two elderly ladies that came and pulled up on the sandbank after us and both were in individual kayaks. Looks fun, but this guy did not rent kayaks I do not think. Are kayaks easy to tump over. I might find myself taking a few swims. I too do not like the mushy bottom of a lake either. These people tried to persuade us into believing there were alligators in the Econfina Creek. We did see a huge Blue Heron I got several pictures of! It was beautiful!
 
ladydebubba60 said:
Gypsea, my husband and I have not tried kayaking but there were two elderly ladies that came and pulled up on the sandbank after us and both were in individual kayaks. Looks fun, but this guy did not rent kayaks I do not think. Are kayaks easy to tump over. I might find myself taking a few swims. I too do not like the mushy bottom of a lake either. These people tried to persuade us into believing there were alligators in the Econfina Creek. We did see a huge Blue Heron I got several pictures of! It was beautiful!
Alligators have been seen in Ecofina.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top