• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Canoeing

New posts
We went cabrewing this past summer before the yellowflies came out. It's hard to paddle when you are trying to drink a beer.

What a parade of rednecks. It was funn. My boat mate kept running me into hanging branches. I'm sure I still have ticks from that.
 
We too went running off into the tree branches along the bank until we got the hang of how to maneuver the paddles. I am sure glad no one was canoeing along with us at the time. After about 20 minutes we were getting the hang of it. I like that Kimmifunn. Cabrewing! :clap_1:
 
We have just discussed gators in the creek-- encountered while canoing.

Bdarg says "They won't bother ya."

He can get out and pull our canoe to the the sandbar.:floor:
 
jdarg said:
We have just discussed gators in the creek-- encountered while canoing.

Bdarg says "They won't bother ya."

He can get out and pull our canoe to the the sandbar.:floor:
For the most part, they won't bother you. You won't even know they are there, unless you toss in a small child or a small dog, or big child and big dog if the gator is big.
 
Smiling Joe, we could easily see the entire creek bottom while canoeing. The water was around 6 to 7 feet deep and calm. The thing I hate worst than anything is getting tangled up in the thick seaweed in the ocean. The guy that picked us up after canoeing did find two baby loggerhead turtles buried in the sand. They were cute! It was a group of about 8 college age looking people that came there to swim that said there were gators in that creek. Probably just trying to ruffle our feathers! I could see there being water mocassins in that creek though!
 
Hey Memphis Ladybug (sp):

Believe it or not, the Wolf River in Shelby and Fayette Counties has some very fine canoeing areas. I used to live there and was on the board of The Wolf River Conservancy (www.wolfriver.org). These are slow moving waters that are typically very beginner-friendly. The organization is constantly leading tours of the Wolf River, which is one of the only remaining non-dredged rivers in west Tennessee (upstream of Moscow, TN anyway). It is very beautiful and wild.

So, don't forget the good stuff at home.
 
One more thing, try to NEVER hold on to a branch while the canoe is moving. You may find yourself in the water. Just DUCK!
 
Nice to post to someone who is from Memphis. I will check out that sight. We plan on doing some cycling either at Shelby Forest when a little warmer or at Shelby Farms. We just were not aware of anyone who had that here. They do provide the transport of you and your canoe back don't they? Have you ever heard of the Flatwoods Canoe Base in Linden, Tennessee? I hope your weather is better there then here. It is a very cold 42 degrees here and they are saying we could have snow showers overnight. Thanks for the info!
 
ladydebubba60 said:
Nice to post to someone who is from Memphis. I will check out that sight. We plan on doing some cycling either at Shelby Forest when a little warmer or at Shelby Farms. We just were not aware of anyone who had that here. Do they rent canoes because we do not own one. We rented one at Econfina. That is the main problem is finding one who rents the canoe to you and picks you back up. Have you ever heard of the Flatwoods Canoe Base in Linden, Tennessee? They have canoe rentals there. I hope your weather is better there then here. It is a very cold 42 degrees here and they are saying we could have snow showers overnight. Thanks for the info!
Shelby Farms is an awesome and welcome relief from the city of Memphis. You will like it out there if you enjoy nature.
 
ladydebubba60 said:
:blink: I know you guys might be tired of a nonresident being on the forum sight but it is how I find out where the best places are for doing the things we like to do like canoeing. This sight is nice and informative! Kurt, is the Blackwater perfect for the beginner like us? Seeing as we have only canoed once we are looking for the easiest to handle until we get good at it. That might be a while, hee hee! There are wonderful canoeing places here in Tennessee at Linden and Waverly, Tennessee near Nashville which is around 200 miles from here. You would have to make a weekend trip out of that one. It is just that they close down at the end of October for the winter.
OMG - You're kidding. I throw in an occassional post but NO WONDER NOBODY TALKS TO ME! Just kidding - I think anyone can post here.........right :idontno:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top