• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Canoeing

New posts
Johnrudy said:
Oh, I got it, I've just been busy and couldn't answer yet. I'm originally from Andalusia, about 10 min. from the FL state line. I tell people who ask where I'm from that I'm from south Alabama. I say that because it's sooooo different from the northern half of AL. People think that is so weird, like I mean S. Carolina, S. Dakota. (I can only imagine the remarks I'd get if I said LA!!)

Where are you in LA?! (BTW, I'm a "she" :rolling: )
Thanks and sorry about the he/she - I made that mistake when I first started posting and OMG I think I offended someone and told myself to be careful about that. I'm in Dothan - so I am way down in LA :lol: and you are so right about N & S being different - they really are!
 
imasunbum said:
Thanks and sorry about the he/she - I made that mistake when I first started posting and OMG I think I offended someone and told myself to be careful about that. I'm in Dothan - so I am way down in LA :lol: and you are so right about N & S being different - they really are!
It dosen't bother me at all! After all, how could you know by my "name"? It is my 2 dogs' names.

When I was growing up, we used to drive over to Dothan or Enterprise to shop, etc.
 
Johnrudy said:
Oh, I got it, I've just been busy and couldn't answer yet. I'm originally from Andalusia, about 10 min. from the FL state line. I tell people who ask where I'm from that I'm from south Alabama. I say that because it's sooooo different from the northern half of AL. People think that is so weird, like I mean S. Carolina, S. Dakota. (I can only imagine the remarks I'd get if I said LA!!)

Where are you in LA?! (BTW, I'm a "she" :rolling: )
For you AL folks wanting a little more history, Alabama's Gov Wallace tried to take over nw FL, from the GA/AL state line(Apalachicola) west to AL, wanting to incorporate it into AL. This part of Florida was refered to as Lower Alabama (LA). Gov Wallace failed in doing so, but the name, LA, is still floating around today, although it is mostly used to refer to property in southern Alabama and not Florida.

... "and now you know the rest of the story." :D

JohnRudy is from the hometown of Robert Horay, Mike Jones and Woody Long. You go girl!;-)
 
Smiling JOe said:
JohnRudy is from the hometown of Robert Horay, Mike Jones and Woody Long. You go girl!;-)
I always forget about those 3 guys, but my husband, brother-in-law and nephews love the fact that we're all from the same town! Sort of a semi-celebrity status! lol
 
Smiling JOe said:
For you AL folks wanting a little more history, Alabama's Gov Wallace tried to take over nw FL, from the GA/AL state line(Apalachicola) west to AL, wanting to incorporate it into AL. This part of Florida was refered to as Lower Alabama (LA). Gov Wallace failed in doing so, but the name, LA, is still floating around today, although it is mostly used to refer to property in southern Alabama and not Florida.

... "and now you know the rest of the story." :D

JohnRudy is from the hometown of Robert Horay, Mike Jones and Woody Long. You go girl!;-)
Why SJ just listen to you and how interesting - I didn't know that about Gov Wallace. You are just full of good info!
Sounds like a lot of people must call South Alabama LA, but it just kind of started on one of my past trips to Los Angeles when someone asked where I was from and they apparently couldn't understand and kept saying where, where. Finally, I just said LA. We had all had a few cocktails so they never really caught it (they must have had more than a few thought if my southern drawl didn't give it away).

Thanks for the tid bit of history.
 
Smiling JOe said:
For you AL folks wanting a little more history, Alabama's Gov Wallace tried to take over nw FL, from the GA/AL state line(Apalachicola) west to AL, wanting to incorporate it into AL. This part of Florida was refered to as Lower Alabama (LA). Gov Wallace failed in doing so, but the name, LA, is still floating around today, although it is mostly used to refer to property in southern Alabama and not Florida.

... "and now you know the rest of the story." :D

JohnRudy is from the hometown of Robert Horay, Mike Jones and Woody Long. You go girl!;-)


One of my co-workers is from the community of Leonia, and her husband is from Esto - both in Holmes County (south of Geneva - Hartford). They like to tell peoples they are from UCLA - the Upper Corner of Lower Alabama. :rolling:
 
Smiling JOe said:
For you AL folks wanting a little more history, Alabama's Gov Wallace tried to take over nw FL, from the GA/AL state line(Apalachicola) west to AL, wanting to incorporate it into AL. This part of Florida was refered to as Lower Alabama (LA). Gov Wallace failed in doing so, but the name, LA, is still floating around today, although it is mostly used to refer to property in southern Alabama and not Florida.

... "and now you know the rest of the story." :D

My maiden name is Wallace. I used to tell everyone that the Gov was my uncle. That was until I found out how prejudiced he was, then I never told anyone that again!!!!
 
kathydwells said:
My maiden name is Wallace. I used to tell everyone that the Gov was my uncle. That was until I found out how prejudiced he was, then I never told anyone that again!!!!
Gosh, isn't that the truth! Whenever I tell someone that I'm from ALA, they ALWAYS say something about Geo. Wallace!!! I always have to explain that not ALL of us or our families were Wallace-lovers!
 
ShallowsNole said:
One of my co-workers is from the community of Leonia, and her husband is from Esto - both in Holmes County (south of Geneva - Hartford). They like to tell peoples they are from UCLA - the Upper Corner of Lower Alabama. :rolling:


:funn: I love it!
 
Johnrudy said:
Gosh, isn't that the truth! Whenever I tell someone that I'm from ALA, they ALWAYS say something about Geo. Wallace!!! I always have to explain that not ALL of us or our families were Wallace-lovers!


Nor "Texans", Shrub lovers. ;-)
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top