• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Chocatwhatchee Bay

New posts
The bay is kind of cold, you'll need a thick skin.
Thanks for the heads up. I am not allowed to use a wetsuit when I swim. My thought is July. I'm looking at the water temp today online and it says that the water temperature is 67 degrees. I've done 9 consecutive miles in 61-degree water (lake swim) with no wetsuit, but I did get a little foggy about halfway across but worked through it. Do you know if the water temp in the Bay is pretty consistent year-round? Any info is greatly appreciated. All the best.
 
Thanks for the heads up. I am not allowed to use a wetsuit when I swim. My thought is July. I'm looking at the water temp today online and it says that the water temperature is 67 degrees. I've done 9 consecutive miles in 61-degree water (lake swim) with no wetsuit, but I did get a little foggy about halfway across but worked through it. Do you know if the water temp in the Bay is pretty consistent year-round? Any info is greatly appreciated. All the best.

I think it does stay pretty consistent based on it's size. Theo not sources of water are the river and the Gulf. It won't suddenly change is what I'm getting at.
 
Thanks for the heads up. I am not allowed to use a wetsuit when I swim. My thought is July. I'm looking at the water temp today online and it says that the water temperature is 67 degrees. I've done 9 consecutive miles in 61-degree water (lake swim) with no wetsuit, but I did get a little foggy about halfway across but worked through it. Do you know if the water temp in the Bay is pretty consistent year-round? Any info is greatly appreciated. All the best.
The bay gets quite warm in the summer. July is a warm bath.
 
The bay gets quite warm in the summer. July is a warm bath.
Oh, nice. I knew Matt J was just trying to take the piss out of me, so I just chose to answer him like an adult and figured other adults would respond, which is exactly what happened. :) I assumed it would be warm in July. Not as warm as the 89-degree water temp in Key West in July, but certainly not anything west-suit-worthy. My biggest concern is currents, wind, chop, etc. which I guess I can reach out to the CBA as mentioned earlier. All the best!
 
Oh, nice. I knew Matt J was just trying to take the piss out of me, so I just chose to answer him like an adult and figured other adults would respond, which is exactly what happened. :) I assumed it would be warm in July. Not as warm as the 89-degree water temp in Key West in July, but certainly not anything west-suit-worthy. My biggest concern is currents, wind, chop, etc. which I guess I can reach out to the CBA as mentioned earlier. All the best!
It can get choppy of course - you want to pick a calm day and start early. Onshore winds pick up even on a calm weather day because of overland convection. I think the only strong current to deal with is near the East pass in Destin. maybe start there on an incoming tide and if it is early AM then less boat traffic. End at 395 boat ramp in Point Washington. Other than that you might get some tidal current but it'll be light but may help if you time it right.
 
If you really want to go nuts, keep in mind the intracoastal connects Choctawhatchee and West Bay in Bay County. You could probably double your distance.
 
If you really want to go nuts, keep in mind the intracoastal connects Choctawhatchee and West Bay in Bay County. You could probably double your distance.
Pretty good current can get going in the intracoastal. I've been out there in a kayak many times and it can be a workout getting back to the 395 boat ramp. Also gotta watch out for the big boats moving between the bays.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top