• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Christmas Carol

New posts
Rita said:
What's with this "myspace.com"? I noticed my daughter has one - she didn't ask .............. hmmm. Tell me all you know about it please...

It's a message board/forum/information source. It seems okay, but you're supposed to be 14, and he's only 10. It seems the security levels are pretty high. Only those you allow to send you messages are able. But we're still going to make him wait until he's older.
 
Good idea, steeleing1. Our 17 year old daughter uses it, and does fine with it, but your little guy is too young. Anyway, it's more fun hanging with us on SoWal!
 
Thanks. She does the xanga.com and I'm OK with that. From what I am hearing the myspace is not as user friendly, if you will, as xanga.

She has limits on all this stuff.
 
Myspace.com is not for any kids from what I have seen. Will's teacher e-mailed the parents- in a quick search she had found 5 of her students (thankfully not in Will's class!), and found out names, phone numbers, where they lived, what movie they were going to on Friday night at what theater, and what they all looked like, etc. Way too much info, and ANYONE can access it. middle and high schoolers don't have the judgment to know what sort of info is NOT to be shared online. There is way too much inappropriate stuff- I had a hard time finding kids that were not posting nasty pics of themselves, bragging about sex, drugs, and drinking, etc. Other schools in the city have notified their parents as well.

If any of you have kids with a Myspace site, take a look not only at their site, but at their "friends", and then just look randomly around. Will had never been on it, but I almost puked at the thought that he could have been. I am not a prude by any stretch of the imagination (I have many failings in the :good behavior: department!) but not only is this Myspace inappropriate, it could be dangerous for your kids.
 
Well put, jdarg. I agree that it is appropriate for upperclassmen only! And even then, it pays to look on what your kid is posting and who the buddy list is. Kids are so very trusting so you have to remind them time and time again about what's appropriate in terms of personal info and photos. Always be on guard and mindful.
 
Woahh, thanks jdarg! :shock:
I was under the impression it might actually be safer because only people could enter their site that they approved.... Is that not the case? How do others get into their sites?
I really feel like I know so little!
 
Mermaid said:
Rita, I'll get the scoop for you after I pick up Fyl from school, ok?

Thank you so much mermaid! This is of concern to me. I'll start a thread in the lounge as this is hardly Christmas Carol stuff!
 
Rita said:
Woahh, thanks jdarg! :shock:
I was under the impression it might actually be safer because only people could enter their site that they approved.... Is that not the case? How do others get into their sites?
I really feel like I know so little!


I think you are correct- you can "choose" your buddies. But here is the deal- who is doing the choosing? The kids! And have you seen other kids myspaces? Ick! I signed up to be sure I could access the parts of the site I needed to see. I have received several "invitations" to be someone's "friend". All were actually selling something- trashy t-shirts, porno, and some weirdo game thing. I didn't invite them to e-mail me, so just registering puts you at risk for garbage.
 
jdarg said:
I think you are correct- you can "choose" your buddies. But here is the deal- who is doing the choosing? The kids! And have you seen other kids myspaces? Ick! I signed up to be sure I could access the parts of the site I needed to see. I have received several "invitations" to be someone's "friend". All were actually selling something- trashy t-shirts, porno, and some weirdo game thing. I didn't invite them to e-mail me, so just registering puts you at risk for garbage.

Yeah, thanks for the information! It reinforces what worried me in the first place.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top