beachmouse said:Costs seem low, but you get what you pay for. There are a lot of million dollar homes here that do a good job of complying with hurricane code, but have absolutely terrible fit & finish- really bad paint jobs, cheapest possible interior doors and wire racks in closets instead of wood shelving, plastic trim, $20 lighting fixtures. We've hit Parade of Homes every year, and after seeing the impressively bad patch job on a 2x2 foot hole in the wall on a big Sandestin home, and the new house on Choctaw Bay in FWB where you could feel the living room floor was out of plumb just by walking across it, model homes with broken lighting fixtures, all kinds of obvious flaws like that, I've got a pretty short list of builders I'd trust down here.
beachmouse said:As for the temporary workers, anyone else notice that it seems like a lot more of the Eastern Europeans stayed the winter to work here instead of going back home? I'm wondering if we're starting to see something of a shift from the usual pattern of Bulgarian, Russian, and Polish college students who spent a couple summers in Florida to work on English skills and save up money for a down payment for an apartment back home when they graduated from college.

beachmouse said:There are a number of companies that will work with American college students to place them in the same kinds of jobs for a season in Australia, England, Costa Rica, Spain, Italy, etc.
It is okay, SHELLY. I agree with you on some things, but I think you like to beat a dead horse a bit too much sometimes.SHELLY said:Don't look now SJ...but I think you just got insulted![]()
I can't speak for vast areas of Florida but I for one am glad to have the "third world" workers doing some of our company's jobs. They seem to appreciate the opportunity and their productivity in many cases exceeds that of what we were accustomed to.SHELLY said:I imagine I'm one of few who finds it disturbing that vast areas of Florida (not just small "vacation" areas) are pricing out entire economic classes of our citizens--only to be replaced by third-world temporary workers.![]()