• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Crap on the beach

New posts
Not all summer renters leave their crap on the beach. When we are down we always pick up litter.

:welcome: fonesy!

When we were at Grayton Beach this summer, the amount of litter wasn't bad. A pleasant surprise. We picked up stuff every day, but I didn't feel the beach ever looked littered while we were there.

Maybe caring people had cleaned up before we got out. :D

.
 
The Walton Funn, September 01, 2006

Artist Sues Walton County

Artist, Riki Yokomashi came to Walton County from New York to pursue his goal of introducing ‘found art’ to areas outside of America’s traditional art centers.

When found objects are used as part of visual art works, the resulting works are referred to as found art.

Yokomashi had produced a number of sculptures using beach chairs, umbrella, and kayaks and placed these at various intervals along south Walton’s beaches.

Early uses of found objects in art focused on the readymades of artists such as Marcel Duchamp, who shocked the art world with his famous display of a ceramic urinal ("Fountain") in 1917. Pablo Picasso and Kurt Schwitters were among many early proponents of the use of found objects in art, which became an important feature in the work of many schools of art, including the Surrealist, Dadaist, Merz, and Conceptual art movement.

“It was the culmination of years of work. One piece, entitled “Umbrella with beer coozie” was an expression of the futility of interpersonal relations –it took me years of soul searching, and therapy, to even approach the subject…………And now, it is all gone.”

Walton county crews have been removing Mr. Yokomashi’s art from the beach, apparently believing it to be trash.

“Oh, you people wrap yourselves in a veneer of high design; but I can see that you are all only one generation removed from classless country bumpkins. Philistines! I bet that if I had covered the beach in giant velvet Elvis you would have squealed with delight!”

Mr. Yokomashi says he will pursue legal action against Walton County, claiming that his work sells for thousands of dollars each at galleries on SoHo.


 
Last edited:
Wow, for once I hope the artist loses. Otherwise, every umbrella owner will claim their beach crap is an artwork. I say the art is litter like any other. Usually the found art was shown in galleries. What right has an artist to make the beach their personal gallery? Isn't it ironic that the "art" was removed but personal belongings usually are left?
 
Wow, for once I hope the artist loses. Otherwise, every umbrella owner will claim their beach crap is an artwork. I say the art is litter like any other. Usually the found art was shown in galleries. What right has an artist to make the beach their personal gallery? Isn't it ironic that the "art" was removed but personal belongings usually are left?

And that folks, is the funniest response to one of my posts ever! I am still giggling.
 
Wow, for once I hope the artist loses. Otherwise, every umbrella owner will claim their beach crap is an artwork. I say the art is litter like any other. Usually the found art was shown in galleries. What right has an artist to make the beach their personal gallery? Isn't it ironic that the "art" was removed but personal belongings usually are left?


:floor:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top