• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Crap on the beach

New posts
John said:
Last night at Grayton Beach I saw several lime green tags on abandoned tents, etc. They were apparently placed by the "Turtle Police" and explained that they were dangering turtles and would be removed by a certain date. Great first step; keep it up.


:clap_1::clap_1::clap_1:
 
Thanks for the report John!!! Kudos to the Turtle Police!
 
John said:
Last night at Grayton Beach I saw several lime green tags on abandoned tents, etc. They were apparently placed by the "Turtle Police" and explained that they were dangering turtles and would be removed by a certain date. Great first step; keep it up.

:clap_1: That is great!!!!
 
John said:
Last night at Grayton Beach I saw several lime green tags on abandoned tents, etc. They were apparently placed by the "Turtle Police" and explained that they were dangering turtles and would be removed by a certain date. Great first step; keep it up.

this is great news! most tourists, and many locals do not really understand the impact they have on the beach environment when they choose to "camp" on the beach for several days. it's really up to the local officials and residents to politely notify folks of the necessary rules and regulations. Grayton Beach is particularly known for "campers" because its such a large beach area, and it is a long trek to the water.

But, in my opinion, caring residents will do what they can to protect beaches and be patient with the fact that tourists are not here to learn lessons. We hope they will respect our natural beach environment (and forests, bay, swamps, etc), but they will leave within a few days and return to their own homes. It is ultimately the responsibility of our residents, officials and county workers to oversee and care for our natural resources. This is the way it has always been. Though there are quite a few more tourists, thus more impact.

Thanks so much to a small group of caring and active residents (and some visitors) who get up very early in the morning after a holiday to go take care of their beaches. They know that everyone has had a good time and that the beaches need some TLC, and see it as an honor to take care of their beach. (the county picks up trash from receptacles, but they don't seem to be equipped to handle much else).

and thanks to the Turtle folks!!! :clap_1: they have always been extremely dedicated (walking designated parts of the beach every morning at sunrise on the lookout for new nests, monitoring nests, etc). They are truly making a difference.
 
This is good news! I'm sure it will help. Most people want to do what is right, I believe.
 
:clap_1:
Rita said:
This is good news! I'm sure it will help. Most people want to do what is right, I believe.

:clap_1: ...I love the tagging policy...It's not offensive to people that care and just don't know what the rules are!
 
This is a great thread and echoes my thoughts on every beach walk I've taken for the last four years. About tags: after a big wind storm in 2005 I have seen a turtle watch person attaching green tags to crap left. Perhaps the turtle watch people could distribute tags to volunteers, like people on this list who care. They are out about dawn to see if any turtle laid eggs to be moved to a safer place.

Another thing that would help me is more litter bags. One at Deer Lake State Park ramp would be great. There are some at WaterSound and some at Eastern Lake, but nothing in-between. I pick up crap and put in or clustered around a litter bag. That is, if it's not too far. Often my walks turn into distance weight-lifting.

Maybe there are two types of crap. The first is the traditional staking out of territory. That should be constantly cleared (at least nightly) by the beach patrol paid for by the tourist tax. It would be more effective than Seymour the crab ads on TV. Constantly remove it.

The second kind is the true anonymous litter like plastic bags, sunglasses, water bottles, shipping containers, flotsam, etc. that has to be carried out by those who care. For that I need more litter bags installed, to be regularly picked up by the county.
 
This is a great thread and echoes my thoughts on every beach walk I've taken for the last four years. About tags: after a big wind storm in 2005 I have seen a turtle watch person attaching green tags to crap left. Perhaps the turtle watch people could distribute tags to volunteers, like people on this list who care. They are out about dawn to see if any turtle laid eggs to be moved to a safer place.

Another thing that would help me is more litter bags. One at Deer Lake State Park ramp would be great. There are some at WaterSound and some at Eastern Lake, but nothing in-between. I pick up crap and put in or clustered around a litter bag. That is, if it's not too far. Often my walks turn into distance weight-lifting.

Maybe there are two types of crap. The first is the traditional staking out of territory. That should be constantly cleared (at least nightly) by the beach patrol paid for by the tourist tax. It would be more effective than Seymour the crab ads on TV. Constantly remove it.

The second kind is the true anonymous litter like plastic bags, sunglasses, water bottles, shipping containers, flotsam, etc. that has to be carried out by those who care. For that I need more litter bags installed, to be regularly picked up by the county.

you are right on. if beach control would remove tents/chairs every night, then the problem would be solved in no time flat. the other kind of crap on the beach (misc. litter) should also be removed by the county on a daily basis - but for now, our caring residents continue to do this whenever possible...
 
For all those that care but don't want the hassle of carrying too- your welcome to put trash/crap in the back of my truck that you pick up off the beach. I've gotten so jaded 'bout all I pick up is glass or metal anymore--

be happy to throw it away for you

big white ford with "dead fish" on side at grayton 'bout half the time
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top