• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Crap on the beach

New posts
this sounds great to me :clap_1:
Bobby J said:
SJ,

Remember when I told you there was a business in this. Lets get with Walton County and see if we can make a nightly swoop. We pick it all up every night and bring to Caring and sharing. Caring and Sharing begins to sell beach stuff to tourist and they make money and we get a nice big tax break! I got the truck and I bet I could get authorized to do it..... :cool:
 
Bobby J said:
SJ,

Remember when I told you there was a business in this. Lets get with Walton County and see if we can make a nightly swoop. We pick it all up every night and bring to Caring and sharing. Caring and Sharing begins to sell beach stuff to tourist and they make money and we get a nice big tax break! I got the truck and I bet I could get authorized to do it..... :cool:

What a phenomenal idea. No expensive storefront to rent or insure, just a truck ... word would get around fast too, so fast you would probably be out of business pretty quickly. :floor: Talk about a free market solution!!
 
I think I have mentioned it before- my bee-yoo-tiful turquoise crank umbrella, size very large, and very nice too, is now ours courtesy of the schmucko that left it on the beach overnight, 2 years ago.

I'm looking for matching chairs- y'all keep your eyes peeled please!
 
Although I don't live in SoWal, I love to visit the beautiful beaches. I love Bobby J's idea of collecting the crap and allowing Care and Share to resell it to the same tourists that probably left it there. As a tourist (but one that has loved t0 visit the best kept secret) for over 20 years, I would love to see the area enforce strict rules as the growth has been tremendous over the past 5-6 years. Just my thought and I realize I have no say-so in the matter.
Hope everyone enjoys the beach today!!

Thanks to SJ for his concern for his living environment and his courage!!
 
Amp22 said:
There is a law against it but it is not enforced.It will have to be one day soon.

Again, I think trying to educate people as to what is/what is not acceptable would go a long way.

While it would be a massive printing project, the TDC could place flyers in every single rental unit in the county outlining beach do's and dont's.

OR the owners and rental agencies could take the initiative and do something similar.

Either way, I agree with all on this issue. It's a big problem that is getting worse.
 
JB said:
Again, I think trying to educate people as to what is/what is not acceptable would go a long way.

While it would be a massive printing project, the TDC could place flyers in every single rental unit in the county outlining beach do's and dont's.

OR the owners and rental agencies could take the initiative and do something similar.

Either way, I agree with all on this issue. It's a big problem that is getting worse.

imo, a more pragmatic approach would be to place notice at beach entrances.
 
John R said:
imo, a more pragmatic approach would be to place notice at beach entrances.

True. But I think they would go largely unread, plus the folks who stay gulf front would use their own private walkway.

I think the rental agencies could go a long way toward solving this problem. Of course, they would have to give a damn first, which they don't.

Maybe the state and/or the county needs to adopt the old "Leave only footprints" campaign from the 1970's.
 
I agree that signs and flyers alone won't do it. It will take a few years of enforcement for it to become accepted fact that it is not allowed. Once all the rental agencies and owners know it as a fact it will get passed on to renters in a few different ways.

I like the idea of notices left for a "warning" on the articles themselves, at least for the 1st year or 2 of enforcement, before items are removed by patrols. Items removed by officials, or "donated" to a private group will leave a very bad taste in visitor's mouths that the TDC is not going to do without pressure. Paying patrols to remove items would also take away from advertising capiital which is hard to make happen.

The good news is that Rosemary Beach, WaterColor, WaterSound, etc. have signs up AND they enforce the rules on their beaches. As our beaches get more and more popular, people will have easier access to beach services instead of worrying about bringing or buying their own stuff. The problem is that items have gotten cheaper to buy, use a week, and throw away than to rent.
 
Now I know why I feel so smug when I go to the beach and take a towel or sheet, a container of frozen water and nothing else.
(I refuse to buy bottled water because it just adds more plastic to the landfills and tap water is no less healthy.)

Watching tourists take 50 pounds of junk to the beach is always good for a laugh. When they're too lazy to pack it up daily, I think that "liberating" the structures is justified.

When I was growing up and one trekked to Seagrove it usually meant a quarter mile or more slog through the sand dunes. In August that could be brutal. Especially if your car got stuck in the dirt roads. I guess we knew even then it couldn't last forever.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top