• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Crap on the beach

New posts
Seems like every year that passes this situation just gets worse.

My idea would be for the commissioners to pass an law that says "everything that is left unattended on the beach after 8pm is FREE for the TAKING"...stick that on a flyer and put it in the rentals--PROBLEM SOLVED! :cool:
 
Are you talking about the beach services? I see beach chairs and umbrellas up all the time by the beach rental set up companies in off season. Seems if this is the law, the people who do business in the area should be fined and accounted for who leave their goods on the beach at night as well.

In LBI- a barrier island off the Jersey shore, they pay for beach raking every day. Anything left on the beach gets disposed of and carted away early in the am.
 
laurawood said:
"I wasn't lost, I just didn't know where I was for a few weeks. What I had lost (at least for a while) was my appetite for the life I had left: city surroundings, old friends, familiar comforts. It had occurred to me that comfort was only a disguise for what will always change." -- Gretel Ehrlich - The Solace of Open Spaces

-love that quote sj-

crazy about that quote, gretel comes to mountainfilm every year. she's a great lady.
 
Mango said:
Are you talking about the beach services? I see beach chairs and umbrellas up all the time by the beach rental set up companies in off season. Seems if this is the law, the people who do business in the area should be fined and accounted for who leave their goods on the beach at night as well.

In LBI- a barrier island off the Jersey shore, they pay for beach raking every day. Anything left on the beach gets disposed of and carted away early in the am.

The beach service companies do not leave items out overnight. Beach raking is not believed to be an environmentally sound practice.
 
kurt said:
The beach service companies do not leave items out overnight. Beach raking is not believed to be an environmentally sound practice.

Not entirely true Kurt. I have been on the beach at 10-11 pm many times during off season and chairs and umbrellas are still there in my neck of the beach. Not to mention kayaks and other beach paraphenalia under the beach walk overs.

Was not aware of the effects of beach raking, but I suppose recreational vehicles, sea walls etc. have no effect? ;-)
Sand raking effects on barier islands require more investigation on my part, but it is only done a couple days of the week, and 8 weeks of the year. The area where it is done is only where people go on the beach. The rest of the area is protected pine barrens and a dedicated widlife reserve that is oceanfront and on the bay.
 
There is no need to rake the beach here, but we could use the guys who clean up the crap, eg - chairs, tents, umbrellas, towels, coolers, toys, etc.
 
Jfunn and I furnished our Mexican Hideaway porch at Patrone's with stuff people left on the beach in Seagrove overnight. So if you have chairs that went missing in 01'...we stole them. And used them all summer.
 
Bobby J said:
It is free for the taking after dark. I do not think we need another law. The people just need to start seeing the stuff go bye bye! :cool:
I believe this is the only way to stop people from leaving their junk on the beach, what better education for these idiots. I have never seen beach junk left on the beaches in J'ville, St George, etc. I wonder how they control this problem? Our problem is only getting worse and I also saw that huge hole Kurt referenced and they were using it to STORE their beach stuff!! :pissed: This is just plain ridiculous.
 
my beach cleaner design is coming along quite nicely - can be set to only get surface stuff like cig butts and the like (leaving everything else behind for beach building) or go up to 2 1/2" deep for buried bottles and punji sticks - the big problem to overcome is how do you know what's seaweed, sticks and shells (leave behind) or fireworks parts, used condoms and bird poop (take away) - everything else is about height and weight and is working ok

you will still need a gang of workers to load the busted tents, coolers, etc onto the truck that the beach cleaner is dragging behind so you can even go down the beach to clean it - i suppose i could move it up front on the truck and make it like a snowplow! :eek:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top