• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Crap on the beach

New posts
kurt said:
The beach service companies do not leave items out overnight. Beach raking is not believed to be an environmentally sound practice.

At the condos where the beach service people are on property, they indeed gather up all the chairs and umbrellas each evening.

But I have seen countless beach setups in areas where there are homes along the beach where the chairs/umbrellas stay there for days on end. When a renter contracts with a beach service company, I'm pretty sure they set the items up the day of your arrival, and the items stay there until you leave.

This doesn't bother me too much as long as the people using the setups remove their personal effects and trash at the end of each day.
 
Franny said:
I believe this is the only way to stop people from leaving their junk on the beach, what better education for these idiots. I have never seen beach junk left on the beaches in J'ville, St George, etc. I wonder how they control this problem? Our problem is only getting worse and I also saw that huge hole Kurt referenced and they were using it to STORE their beach stuff!! :pissed: This is just plain ridiculous.
i know how they control it in jacksonville it's called bums. if you leave your stuff out there then it's free for the taking. i had a friend that went surfing and left his t shirt on the beach and when he came up he couldn't find it. the next day we went to a little beach bar on the board walk where a lot of the homeless people hang out and some guy was wearing his shirt :floor:
 
jessifunn said:
i know how they control it in jacksonville it's called bums. if you leave your stuff out there then it's free for the taking. i had a friend that went surfing and left his t shirt on the beach and when he came up he couldn't find it. the next day we went to a little beach bar on the board walk where a lot of the homeless people hang out and some guy was wearing his shirt :floor:

Ah.... a new definition for "Beach Bum"! :biggrin:

.
 
As far as educating visitors goes...you can try, but you would not believe the letters that OFTEN come back with beach safety citations, and I KNOW that most of our accommodations post info on the beach safety program, or at least have flyers prominently displayed.

Most of the letter-writers are so outraged and indignant that it is actually :funn: ...but one such dodo actually called out the deputy in the Walton Sun a couple of weeks ago...and two have actually tried to contest it with the judge :popcorn: . They all say they didn't know.

There are folks who honestly believe that if they have spent $$$$ for a week here, they have the right to do as they please, the heck with everybody else. Even if it trashes our beach, or could possibly cost them their lives.
 
Recently, I was pm'd and informed that it was not against County Code to leave crap, ie- canopies, on the beach over night. I replied that they are considered to be camping equipment according to WalCo Code of Ordinances.

THere is the some of the information upon which I base my interpretation of the law. According to WalCo Code, here is the definition of Camping:

Camping means the erection of shelter or a similar structure for the purpose of sleeping; or sleeping or lying upon the beach either under or outside of any shelter, vehicle, bedroll, blanket, or other protective garb.

and here is the ordinance:
ARTICLE IV. REGULATION OF RECREATIONAL BEACH AND WATER ACTIVITIES*
Sec. 22-54. Regulation of use and conduct on the beach and water bodies. (a) Overnight camping. It shall be unlawful to camp overnight on the beach.


any questions?
 
We walked on the beach late Saturday night and in front of our house in Seagrove there was S&#T! everywhere. Chairs, tents, volleyball nets and all sorts of items. I have never seen it so bad. I started to pick up what I could and haul off to the dumpster.

Can we not put up signs on the beach that states..."If you leave your crap on the beach it will be gone by morning!" ?

I went to our condos Sunday and wrote in our book to be sure and not leave any items on the beach overnight.

Any suggestions? :idontno:
 
jessifunn said:
i know how they control it in jacksonville it's called bums. if you leave your stuff out there then it's free for the taking. i had a friend that went surfing and left his t shirt on the beach and when he came up he couldn't find it. the next day we went to a little beach bar on the board walk where a lot of the homeless people hang out and some guy was wearing his shirt :floor:
Whatever works!! Beach Bums for hire!! :lolabove: The folks who leave stuff on the beach overnight have to receive hefty fines and have their names in the paper or else they will not stop this bad behavior!
 
Anothe wonder. If all this junk is removed and placed at the beach access trash area's then the county/our taxes would have to pay to haul the stuff away. Then we have the counties attention and they finally do something to improve this messy problem. :idontno:
 
Smiling JOe said:
Here is my warning again to all of you who may not know about it. Leave your crap on the beach overnight, and it may be gone when you come back the next day. If I don't take it, the storms may. This morning while kayaking in the Gulf, I collected floating bottles, a play tug boat,a boogy board and two beach chairs, and can you believe the owners were screaming at me that the chairs belonged to them, though they wouldn't come in the water to get them because they didn't like the seaweed? It didn't make for too exciting of a kayak experience this morning. I made them promise to take their crap off the beach everyday in exchange for the chairs. There were tents in the water this morning, crumbled tent frames and tops on the beach, etc. It really sucks that some people do not have the courtesy to remove their crap daily.

Warning: You can take it off the beach, or I will. I am tired of it. Now get a move on before I decide to open a can of whoop-@ss on you rude, inconsiderate people.


Saturday morning we took a walk and retrieved a chair, beach bag and tent from the water. We were dragging the tent frame and top from the water when these people walked up and said, "ooh, we think this tent is ours."
They didn't even thank us or offer to help drag it out.
 
Franny said:
Anothe wonder. If all this junk is removed and placed at the beach access trash area's then the county/our taxes would have to pay to haul the stuff away. Then we have the counties attention and they finally do something to improve this messy problem. :idontno:

You could do a beach cleanup every morning at dawn.

Last year when Cindy was approaching I remember gathering a lot of stuff, mostly trash, and lashing it all together so it wouldn't end up in the water or buried or scattered.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top